starting strength gym

Thread: What to do on a bad day?

Default What to do on a bad day?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I didn't get enough sleep (my son woke me up early), and felt like crap at the start of my workout. Was debating whether to put it off or go for it, and due to scheduling issues later in the week decided to go for it.

End result was about what I should have expected: I was off by a rep or two on all my sets.

What do you usually recommend at this point? End the workout and just write it off? Extra assistance work? I mean, life will go on and next week I'll probably get anough sleep, but I wasn't quite sure what to do. Even debated trying to grab a nap and repeat the workout later in the day...

So, if you screw up your high volume day at the start of the week, what to do?

You will have occasional bad days for the entirety of your training history. I usually either train the next workout as though the bad day didn't happen -- stay on schedule, in other words. But if the interruption is sufficiently profound this will affect the next workout and you'll have to repeat the week. You'll know Friday.