starting strength gym

Thread: fundoplication surgery

Default fundoplication surgery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I am having a fundoplication surgery in about a week and a half. It is a laproscopic surgery to tighten my lower esophageal valve. There will be two, centimeter sized and three, half-centimeter sized incisions in my abdomen. The surgeon said I should lay low with not much activity for two weeks after the surgery. I asked him if I could lift weights after two weeks and he said yes.

I am a 35 yr old male who has been doing the Texas method. My plan is to start back with the Starting Strength linear progression program at the two week mark, depending on how the abdominal incisions feel.

I don’t expect you to have a lot of experience with this particular surgery, but I did read your post about how you started training 11 days after a hernia surgery.

Do you have any general recommendations for me regarding the healing of the abdomen and how soon and how intensely I should be training, other than the advice you have already given for those inquiring about hernia surgery recovery?

Thanks for your time.

If he is confident enough in his procedure that he said 2 weeks, that's good. Let your pain be your guide. Do some light squats, don't deadlift or pull for 3 weeks, don't wear your belt for a while, and you'll know when to load it heavier. Don't make any concrete plans for anything, just push it prudently and pay attention to they way it feels after you train as much as during the workout.