starting strength gym

Thread: olympic press article

Default olympic press article

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

I read with great interest the olympic pressing article that was recently posted. Out of curiosity, is this 'style' of pressing appropriate for a novice, or a trainee more further along in his progression?

Thanks,
    -sergeant-

Better learn to walk before you run. Use a more simple style until you are able to appreciate the more advanced version described in Bill's article.

Terrific article, thank you for bringing it to us. I have actually read Starr's thoughts on the olympic press before and on that occasion he mentioned that you can press more if you clean the weight rather than work from the rack. I have tried and tried to understand this, but can't. I have experimented, but
    1) My clean sucks
    2) I'm not very strong at the press and I can't press anymore weight whether I clean or remove from the rack.

Can you explain how cleaning the weight aids in the lift?

Also, I once saw you helping a woman learn to press (on some random youtube thing) and you were showing her how to incorporate a little bit of hip snap into the lockout. The part of the movement where the bar clears the head and we stand straight under it. I thought this was a terrific cue and use it religiously. I have really long arms and that extra snap helps a lot. Did you get that idea from the olympic press? Or is it something everyone who presses a lot already knows? Or...?

Also for everyone who has ever ground out a night of presses and thought they were a slow lift you need to see the Olympic Press in action:

Serge Redding cleans and presses 502lb in the Olympic style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nJrY...eature=related

God, I could watch this clip over and over all day.

The press is such a fantastic lift. I have osteoarthritis in my shoulders and it flared up this winter, along with a case of supraspinatus tendonitis. I have not been able to bench at all since late January, but I have been able to overhead press. It's been great. Once the osteo subsided it has been key in helping get through the tendonitis.

Thanks again. Sorry for the length of this.

I think the main effect of cleaning the weight first is to make it feel lighter that taking out of the rack does by pre-loading the system before the bar gets to the shoulders. And if you press enough you'll figure out how to use your whole body in the movement.