starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right-Side Dominance & Symmetry Problem

Default Right-Side Dominance & Symmetry Problem

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hey Rip

My right side is a fair bit bigger and stronger than my left, and this can be seen in the photos below. My right arm pulls down the right side of my body because of its extra weight.

I believe this is due to playing competitive tennis (right hander obviously) for the last 15 years. This kind of asymmetry is common among tennis players.

When I lift, I notice that I rely on my right side quite a bit. Also when doing dips and pullups I rely on my right side (though I do consciously try to stay centered).

I am concerned that this asymmetry will become more pronounced as I continue to lift, since my right side is already bigger, and my right side will be doing more work than my left when I lift. I also wonder about the possibility of injury from demanding too much of my right side.

So what is your advice on how to address this problem? I wondered if this is an instance where it might be useful to use dumbells in place of barbell for certain exercises (e.g. bench, press, rows) so that I have equal load on both sides.

thanks

You look like you have quite a bit of insect blood in you. The asymmetry will go away as you train IF you use symmetrical form, as we have discussed here about, oh, I don't know, maybe 3000 times. In fact I would have just deleted this or said SEARCH FUNCTION if I hadn't wanted to use the "insect blood" line.

get this guy a gallon of milk fucking asap.

Rip, would almonds help with the insect blood problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You look like you have quite a bit of insect blood in you. The asymmetry will go away as you train IF you use symmetrical form, as we have discussed here about, oh, I don't know, maybe 3000 times. In fact I would have just deleted this or said SEARCH FUNCTION if I hadn't wanted to use the "insect blood" line.

He's been eating them 8 at a time.

I could go for the low hanging fruit and make a masturbation joke, but I won't. Instead, I must inquire why you felt you needed to take pictures sans pants to prove that your right side of your body is bigger.

Also, now that I"m thinking about it, the idea that your right is sooo muscular that it drags down your right arm strikes me as bizarre. Perhaps I'm wrong here, but muscle mass isn't dead weight as far as I know. If that were the case, getting bigger legs from squatting should make it harder to walk, however that obviously doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    Also, now that I"m thinking about it, the idea that your right is sooo muscular that it drags down your right arm strikes me as bizarre...
    I don't think I've ever seen it before. What's particularly odd in this case is that the right side weighs so much more without looking bigger than the left.

It doesn't look like you're more muscular on either side, it just looks like your clavicle and scapulas are on an angle.

speaking of sans pants, what useful diagnostic knowledge is provided by the information that ones cotton boxers tend to split at the bottom of some squats?

starting strength coach development program
    The information that you were stupid enough to wear pants that don't stretch when you squat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast