starting strength gym

Thread: Programming for whitewater kayaking

Default Programming for whitewater kayaking

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mark,

I've been doing Starting Strength for a couple of months now and have gained about 30 lbs.

This may be out of your area of expertise, but I'm also a whitewater kayaker and I'm looking to find lifts that mimic the motions used in this sport for the upcoming spring runoff. Specifically, I do a lot of freestyle kayaking - dynamic surfing of standing or breaking waves on the river. This involves a winding up of the torso followed by a very rapid dip-like motion. These motions occur very explosively. Please see short video clip for reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlorQkO7v-s

Previous to starting strength training I was able to get in shape just by paddling, but was looking to see if I could improve my strength in a way that translates to this type of activity.

Have not finished linear progression yet, and was wondering if it's too early to incorporate rapid dips into my programming, or if standard bench pressing would suffice? Also, any suggestions for weighted movements that mimic the rapid "winding up" or twisting of the torso.

By the way ... my legs can barely fit into my tiny boat anymore.

Thanks.

Drew

Strength translates to all athletic activities, and the movements do not need to mimic the sport. They just need to be able to make you strong. Use the SEARCH FUNCTION.