starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tell if you're in the right place (CF)

Default How to tell if you're in the right place (CF)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The short version: Crossfit. A lot of people love it, a lot hate it and still more say "it depends". The majority, including some of the more vocal opponents, seem to feel there are definitely some good affiliates out there. How can you tell if you're in one of the good ones?

The one I go to has a copy of Starting Strength floating around the front office and Rip is coming there at the end of the month for a SSS. I win?

I really love my affiliate, but I have nothing to compare it to other than the generic globo-gyms out there. I left my globo when they got rid of the very last squat rack to put in more ellipticals. I dont travel the country checking out other CF boxes though so I cant say what others do in relation to mine. I know that before I got here last August, I never did a power clean in my life. Same with a snatch or C&J.

Are there any signs to look for?

We did a seminar in Kentucky a while back, and attending that seminar was a CF owner from Florida. He had been the owner of the affiliate for 2 years, and his exposure at our seminar was literally, by his own admission, the first time he had done squats with bar on his back. So his affiliate would not be a good one.

Obviously the equipment will determine whether you can use the gym effectively, so inventory it when you look around. If the owners are operating a strength training-oriented affiliate, it will be apparent from the appearance of the place. But even an affiliate equipped correctly can be difficult and expensive to use if they operate on the standard CF classes-only model. I don't expect a lot of response to this because of the political climate, but any CF affiliates that are operated primarily as strength-based operations, are equipped with more than just cheap bars and plates, that have good squat racks or power racks, a place to bench press safely, and who offer a membership option that is less than $50/month (or the equivalent for their market) are welcome to post it here on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We did a seminar in Kentucky a while back, and attending that seminar was a CF owner from Florida. He had been the owner of the affiliate for 2 years, and his exposure at our seminar was literally, by his own admission, the first time he had done squats with bar on his back. So his affiliate would not be a good one.

Obviously the equipment will determine whether you can use the gym effectively, so inventory it when you look around. If the owners are operating a strength training-oriented affiliate, it will be apparent from the appearance of the place. But even an affiliate equipped correctly can be difficult and expensive to use if they operate on the standard CF classes-only model. I don't expect a lot of response to this because of the political climate, but any CF affiliates that are operated primarily as strength-based operations, are equipped with more than just cheap bars and plates, that have good squat racks or power racks, a place to bench press safely, and who offer a membership option that is less than $50/month (or the equivalent for their market) are welcome to post it here on this thread.
    I would love to find said place around Eastern Mass somewhere.

Depends on your goals.

Assuming your goals have a strength bias I would ask about their programming or programming options. Can you do strength movements before the WOD, do they have a strength portion built in or do they not focus on strength? WHat kind of certs does the trainer have? WHat are the trainers interests (if he run tri's, it may not be the place for you, if he competes in weightlifting, it might be).

I know of several affiliates that have some kind of strength bias option or other programming. ANd I think for whatever an affiliate charges, I should should have a say over how my training is directed.

Haha, WOD

"WODs" are what you do when you're not actually training.

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    The short version: Crossfit. A lot of people love it, a lot hate it and still more say "it depends". The majority, including some of the more vocal opponents, seem to feel there are definitely some good affiliates out there. How can you tell if you're in one of the good ones?

The one I go to has a copy of Starting Strength floating around the front office and Rip is coming there at the end of the month for a SSS. I win?

I really love my affiliate, but I have nothing to compare it to other than the generic globo-gyms out there. I left my globo when they got rid of the very last squat rack to put in more ellipticals. I dont travel the country checking out other CF boxes though so I cant say what others do in relation to mine. I know that before I got here last August, I never did a power clean in my life. Same with a snatch or C&J.

Are there any signs to look for?
    I would maybe ask this on the CF board (if they will let you), because asking a question like that on a strength training forum, especially one graciously provided by a guy who has parted ways with CF, is probably going to get you answers limited to something about barbell work and barbell equipment. That is not, by any means, a dis on barbell work, or Rip, or a suggestion that you would get bad advice here per se, but more that you're getting a group of people devoted to that aspect of fitness. Since CF is, ideally at least, pretty nonspecific, maybe asking about it there would get the perspective of people who are in it for some of the strength stuff, but who also fancy their muscle-ups and wall-balls and kipping handstand burp-up thingamajumps.

Thanks for the replies.

We absolutely do squats, all the time. At a minimum they are a part of the workout 3 times a week 3x5x3. We warm up prior, starting with just the bar, then 20%, 40%, 80% and work sets. They also teach linear progression. I believe all that tracks pretty well with the book.

But yeah we also do WoDs every day, and John I think it was your article that led me to this question when you said:

It is unfortunate because there are many in the community that are good people doing good things. (a decent litmus would be if you are offended by this, you probably suck, and if you are nodding your head and/or laughing then you probably don’t.
    I mean hell I dont know. I'm not offended or nodding my head. I try to read and be knowledgeable but best I can conclude by the context of that is that I half suck.

I came from a globo and did programs like Lou Schuler's New Rules of Lifting. That had me doing deads, bench, squats and lunges. All that. Now I'm at CrossFit and still doing my squats and deads but also learned to do Power Cleans, C&J, snatch. Do a lot more pull ups and push ups and short runs here too, not to mention things like kettlebells and rings and box jumps.

Since getting Starting Strength it's been pretty clear I need more strength. Plain and simple. There are some really strong, fit dudes at my XFit. I want to get there myself just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    and who offer a membership option that is less than $50/month
    Do CF affiliates that charge less than $50 a month even exist?

starting strength coach development program
    Wow Rip, I wish. Here in my hometown they have an affiliate with absolutely great equipment and facilities - but they only offer the "classes". No option to just have gym access. It sure would be great if they did, I'd be all over it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast