starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlifting on the 25mm bar

Default Deadlifting on the 25mm bar

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip,
    1.When the grip fails on the deadlift, have you seen your athletes(especially if they have smaller fingers) do more reps/lift more weight on the womens bar?
    2. I have no experience with bumper plates. If you live in close quarters is the investment in bumper plates justified purely as a measure to reduce noise?

Thank you for your time.

1. We don't let the boys use the woman's bar so that they can deadlift more without strengthening their little grip. The 25 mm bar is expensive and it is designed for females to use for the snatch and the C&J, no for boys to avoid addressing their problems.

2. Perhaps.

Sounds like Fibro possibly

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    1. We don't let the boys use the woman's bar so that they can deadlift more without strengthening their little grip. The 25 mm bar is expensive and it is designed for females to use for the snatch and the C&J, no for boys to avoid addressing their problems.

2. Perhaps.

A case caught early, perhaps?

Thank you for your answer. Is it your argument that all things that we pick off the ground comes in size 28.5 mm and that it is not worth using the 25mm bar to strengthen your back when your grip fails? Or are you going to tell you athletes that if some thing measures lesser than 28.5mm not to pick it up off the floor? I have never seen the womens bar, far less used it and just wanted to know if there was any real world difference.
    But what the heck am I railing about? Indebted for your time and patience.

When the grip fails, you go to an alternate/mixed grip or to a hook grip or straps as discussed in the book.

The point of the smaller diameter bar is to make it easier for the on-average smaller hands of women to hook grip the 15kg bar. Not for it to be easier to hold for a regular overhand grip, but specifically for using hook grip technique.

Right tools for the right job. And the 15kg bar is not for deadlifts. Not. Ever. Especially mine.
    Last edited by stef; 04-03-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Thank you Stef

I use a standard bar for all my lifts - I haven't yet bought an olympic set. A standard sized bar doesn't help with deadlifting grip, in fact, it makes my deadlifts harder, because it's so thin that the increased pressure just kills my hands.

I have no problem moving my deadlifts up when I lift at a commercial gym (with an olympic bar), but the knurling on the standard bar on my 5x170kg deadlifts hurt my hands like nothing else...

What is the difference between what you're calling a "standard-sized" bar and an Olympic bar?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What is the difference between what you're calling a "standard-sized" bar and an Olympic bar?
    Most often standard sized bars don't have revolving 2 inch diameter ends have a diameter of 1 inch in the middle section. I've owned 2 'standard' bars and they definitely were not as thick as an Olympic bar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast