starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intercostal Muscle Strain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminater135 View Post
    What do you mean by over-breathing?
    It is possible to take a breath so big that it places things out of position to exert the most force to stabilize the spine.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminater135 View Post
    What do you mean by over-breathing?
    Coach I would also appreciate to listen to what you have to say on this.

I suffered a very similar thing during squatting yesterday. It is the 10th rib (the last one before the floating ribs) at a point directly above the ASIS. At the bottom position there was a "pop" accompanied by pain.

I've searched and found your answers in several similar threads (healing will take 2-3 weeks tops, use knee wraps to train/sleep if needed) so I am not worried about the injury. I would be interested to learn what may have caused the injury in order to prevent it from happening in the future.

Used no belt, very confident of maintaining proper form. I am taking in an as-deep-as-possible breath prior to each rep.

It is not always possible to determine why some things happen, unfortunately. I got a call today from a friend in Seattle, one of my best staff coaches, who tells me about a distal bicep tendon avulsion that occurred on one of his intermediate trainees doing a squat warmup. And we had a seminar attendee last year avulse his pec/delt insertion on the 5th rep of a sub-max set of 5. These things normally happen to juiced bodybuilders at heavy weights. So, fuck. Sometimes weird shit happens.

I have strained my intercostal twice over the last 5 years while wrestling. These things really come out of nowhere- Rippetoe wasn't being sarcastic when he mentioned it happening during coughing fits. It will heal in about 4-6 weeks, but unforunatly you have to let it rest and it is very hard to isolate and rest your ribs. If you take a couple weeks off and add the lifts back one by one when they don't cause strain you'll be back in a month or so.

starting strength coach development program
    Recently discussed this in E & P. I had a very similar thing happen to me. I initially strained something on my left side, mid-back area doing GHD situps. It didn't really hurt so much as feel overstretched/tweaked. About a week later I was sitting at my computer and sneezed and felt something explode/pop in my back. Hurt like fucking hell. Breathing, rolling over in bed, etc., was a real bitch.

Took a good six weeks for whatever it was to heal. I did take Rips barbell cert though a week after it happened so probably delayed healing.

As a suggestion, you might want to try wrapping your ribs with an ace bandage. It helped me considerably.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12