starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Au Natural Lifting"

Default "Au Natural Lifting"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mark,

1. Is there any good reason whatsoever for a novice lifter to train without a belt?

2. Is there any good reason whatsoever for a novice lifter to train without shoes?

I'm 99.9% sure I know the correct answer, but I just wanted to clarify your opinion for the au natural illiterates out there.

Thanks,
    Daniel

Have you read the book?

Some say we evolved without a belt and shoes and so we should train without them. However, we also evolved without air conditioning and prophylactics, and no one seems to have a problem with those.

Quote Originally Posted by strongdaniel View Post
    I'm 99.9% sure I know the correct answer, but I just wanted to clarify your opinion for the au natural illiterates out there.
    If they're illiterate, I can't see how this would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have you read the book?
    Have you read the book?
    Yes, Mark. In fact, Starting Strength and Practical Programming are the two best resources on fitness I have ever encountered. I also think your view is extremely clear. One only needs to read pages 57-61 of starting strength in the section "Personal Equipment" to understand your view.

For example, you say that Shoes are "a piece of personal equipment that you really need to own." You also suggest the the belt is an extremely beneficial training implement (on work sets at the very least) without outrightly mandating its use.

The reason I inquire is that I've seen people on other forums try to talk young trainees out of using a belt and shoes, because according to them, "Neither Rippetoe or McRobert deem belts a necessity." I've also seen another person attribute the following view to you, "The only reason people use chucks, is because they are the closest thing to being barefoot. The most important thing about feet and squatting is to be stable. Nothing is stabler than being barefoot." Many have made copious citations clearly showing you are in favor of both shoe and (judicious) belt usage, but a number of e-charlatans insist that one shouldn't use those training tools because Mark Rippetoe says you don't have to.

Now, I don't really give a shit about what the au natural brigade thinks, because they are self-righteous hippies, and I also doubt it's the end of a kids training career if he squats barefoot and belt-less, but I do think it's messed up to appeal to you as an authority, while misattributing your views.

A yes or no answer to each question would really suffice:

1. Is there any good reason whatsoever for a novice lifter to train without a belt?

2. Is there any good reason whatsoever for a novice lifter to train without shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    Some say we evolved without a belt and shoes and so we should train without them. However, we also evolved without air conditioning and prophylactics, and no one seems to have a problem with those.
    I agree 100%. A belt allows you to lift heavier weights in a safer fashion. Therefore, it makes you faster stronger. Furthermore, since I have been using a belt, my torso has gotten significantly more muscular. I doubt this is a coincidence.

Shoes are also obviously good. I know this through both deduction and personal experience. First, lifting shoes with rubber bottoms stick to the floor and prevent your feet from slipping. Socks or skin do not provide the same level of advantage. Second, I know my ankles are far more stable when I have the support of shoes, and thus squatting becomes a test of my leg and hip strength rather than a test of my ankle stability. Last, When I was younger and dumber, I squatted a pathetic 225 lbs barefoot. Shit did not feel right.

A yes or no answer to each question would really suffice:
    This seems like a response that could get one slapped silly in person

1. Logically, having read Rip's comments and SSBT, one could deduce that a belt could be lived without forever if the lifter finds it acceptable personally, but that :

I think that the vast majority of serious strength trainees come to the quite reasonable conclusion that a belt, squat shoes, and light knee protection of some sort are essentially necessary for longevity in the weight room. The argument that they are not "natural" is specious in that neither is a plate-loaded bar with revolving sleeves.
    2. Barefoot? - not acceptable. If you are too poor to buy proper shoes, I believe he has stated many times that Chucks are a poor, but acceptable alternate, but that hard-soled work boots with a slight heel are better.

Note.... search function... geez, let's waste some more of his time why don't we...

Okay SD, we'll clarify for them. After all, you don't know how to use the search function, and my simple answer will suffice. Except that answers are not always simple, and they have been typed here many times before. A belt is necessary at the end of the novice period, but not for a rank beginner. When weights get heavy, put one on. It will allow you to train harder, get your abs stronger, and do so safely. Shoes, on the other hand, are necessary from as early as you can afford them, meaning fix it up so that you can afford them ASAFP. That barefoot is as stable as you can be is just stupid. A connection with the ground over the sole of a WL shoe is a larger surface area than the foot, and it is longer too, so that the whole length of the foot -- toes included -- can be used to distribute the load against the ground and position it more effectively above the mid-foot. Thus decreasing PSI and supporting the arches and metatarsals with the strap during the process. And since we also do cleans, and since even a fool understands that stomping the floor barefooted can really hurt your feet, and that stomping is an artifact of the jump necessary to clean, there you go again.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 04-26-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Okay SD, we'll clarify for them. After all, you don't know how to use the search function, and my simple answer will suffice. Except that answers are not always simple, and they have been typed here many times before. A belt is necessary at the end of the novice period, but not for a rank beginner. When weights get heavy, put one on. It will allow you to train harder, get your abs stronger, and do so safely. Shoes, on the other hand, are necessary from as early as you can afford them, meaning fix it up so that you can afford them ASAFP. That barefoot is as stable as you can be is just stupid. A connection with the ground over the sole of a WL shoe is a larger surface area than the foot, and it is longer too, so that the whole length of the foot -- toes included -- can be used to distribute the load against the ground and position it more effectively above the mid-foot. Thus decreasing PSI and supporting the arches and metatarsals with the strap during the process. And since we also do cleans, and since even a fool understands that stomping the floor barefooted can really hurt your feet, and that stomping is an artifact of the jump necessary to clean, there you go again.
    Sorry if I was unnecessarily aggravating. I sincerely appreciate your willingness to give a thoroughly comprehensive answer.

For what it's worth, I used the search function, provided multiple quotes from previous Q&A, and les au naturales came up with the wackiest possible distortions of what you plainly wrote. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to distort what you just wrote, so let's see if I have any success this time.

Thanks again, Mark.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    I am definitely in the weightlifting shoes and belt wearing camp, but I must take issue with your statement.

Condoms and a/c are useful and sadly sometimes necessary. However, I would ask you to choose one of the two following scenarios:

1. Monica Bellucci shivering under the sheets in a frigid a/c blasted room while your ice-numbed fingers try to open the condom packet and get the damn thing over your dick which is refusing to come out into the cold.

2. Monica Bellucci all sweaty and hot while you bang the hell out her her, bareback, in the blazing afternoon on a beach in Barbados.

(Disclaimer: I appreciate the importance of safe sex).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast