starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form and injury

Default Deadlift form and injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I've been out of commission for the past 2 1/2 months due to a low-back/ or a high glute injury. I can't tell, it 's on the left side right at the hip bone, but the whole area hurts still. I went to a chiropractor a month ago, he believes it is a high glute strain. I have a doctor's appointment in a week and will ask for an x-ray of my back.

I happen to have a video of the rep that produced the injury. You've signed off on my squat, press, and clean technique (thank you again), but I am (was) still working on the deadlift. I tend to roll the bar out before each rep I notice. From this limited video are you able to see anything glaring that could have contributed to the injury?

As always, I appreciate your time and effort. -Nate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXAQIUkqlmM

I don't see anything that would account for the injury. It's possible to deadlift wrong and not hurt yourself. Everybody does it, pretty much, right? So it's not always possible to tell, as I mentioned in another thread today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't see anything that would account for the injury. It's possible to deadlift wrong and not hurt yourself. Everybody does it, pretty much, right? So it's not always possible to tell, as I mentioned in another thread today.
    Mark, based on what the OP describes (which I know doesn't give an outsider much to go on) do you think he should include an SI joint injury as a possibility, and if so, is that something an X-ray would help diagnose?

Ken

I'm not absolutely sure, but I kinda think that if your SI is so deranged that it shows displacement on a x-ray, you're probably fucked beyond worrying about your training.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'm not absolutely sure, but I kinda think that if your SI is so deranged that it shows displacement on a x-ray, you're probably fucked beyond worrying about your training.
    Thanks Mark. I know that the SI joint is one the most robust in the body which is why I asked. I guess what I was asking was, based on the most likely injuries the OP could have, if you or anyone think an X-ray at this point would be a waste of time for him, other than to rule things out and to follow whatever procedures the healthcare professionals recommend.

Ken