starting strength gym

Thread: Stone House

Default Stone House

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I heard a story from a "reliable source" that you built your house, or a house, although I'm pretty sure he claimed it was your personal residence, out of stone? Is this true? That's pretty rugged if it is true.

It is true, of course. Lots of sensible people build houses from stone all over the planet.

I did the same; the straw and sticks didn't work out too well.

I never understood why anybody would want a house made of fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I never understood why anybody would want a house made of fuel.
    Some people just learn faster than others. It took me moving to Germany and trying to figure out why they weren't as paranoid about smoke detectors all over the place in their buildings as folks in the U.S. seem to be -- and thinking some more... and some more -- before it dawned on me -- We in the U.S. practically build our houses to burn. I'm sure its cheaper and has some historical roots in frontier America, but most Germans who are transplanted in the other direction are horrified at the flimsy, flame-feeding way we build even our more expensive homes.

This brings to mind one of the better books I've read in the last ten years, or so:

How Buildings Learn: What Happens After They're Built
    by Stewart Brand

It seems to me like you, Mr. Rippetoe, and Mr. Brand might be somewhat unlikely, but none-the-less kindered, spirits. Are you familiar with the Whole Earth Catalog, the WELL, or "The Long Now Foundation"? ( http://www.longnow.org/ )?

Regardless, the book on buildings is a good read and a one-of-a-kind sort of contemplation on the realities underlying value in our contemporary context using the most common sort of architecture as its example.

- Tom

You'll understand when they finally come out with a "get ripped" pill and you need to torch your house for insurance money.

starting strength coach development program
    One thing is certain, if the government decides to fire bomb Wichita Falls like they did to Tokyo, at least the Casa de Rip will still be open for bidness.