Background info:

Current records
    Squat- 335.5x3x5, 341x5
    Deadlift- 400x4
    Bench-223x3x5
    Press- 148.5x3x5
    Cleans- can't- old ankle injury

Bodyweight: 225.5lb- 19-20% bf

Weight gain has tapered off- no longer gaining weight fast- have also cut down milk to about 1/2-3/4 gomad, as a lot of it seems to go to fat.

I know the advice for advancing to the advanced novice program is two squat resets and then the advanced novice is the third and final bump past linear progression. The problem is, i simply don't know where i am progression wise- if i had to rate myself 1-10 on how far I've completed linear progression, it wouldn't be accurate at all. I genuinely stalled at 313 on the squat and deloaded as you recommend in your books- i worked back up to the same number, sprained my ankle and was out for 2 weeks, then deloaded a bit again and worked back up to the same number, and at about that same time i started using a belt (i figure this would add about 30lbs~ as gary mentioned). Since then i got to 341x5 fairly consistently and 341 felt like a true rep max. Second set i could only get two, and felt completely defeated. I've probably had 3 squat resets- only one of them i believe was genuinely from a performance plateau- the rest are injuries and shit life throws at you.

The rest of my lifts are progressing slow- the press is going up extremely slow at 2lbs, with missed reps sometimes occurring during deloads and only 5-7lbs gain every deload. The bench is inconsistent, maybe 3lbs progress every second workout, and the deadlift is down to 5lbs jumps-however i think my deadlift recovery is fine- this is the lift where i've missed very few reps and never had to deload.

I don't want to finish linear progression anytime soon, for obvious reasons. But i also want to see consistent progress. right now there have been a few workouts in a row where i havent seen PR's at all, and it makes me wonder if i need to change things.

My questions are, if you will please sir:

1. In your experience, do you think i'm ready for advanced novice program? And if so, since i'm recovering well from deads (which might just be because i'm getting less squat volume from missed reps) should i continue to do them the same frequency and just program a light day in for the squats? Or would you recommend i have two more shots at 341, and if i fail then move on, if i succeed, then likely grind my ass through another 10lbs of deteriorating form progression.

2. WWMRD??? What would mark rippetoe do if you were me?

Thank you for your time and the valuable service you provide.

I would just move to the Texas Method now. You sound like you're ready, and it doesn't matter that your stalled progress was caused by injuries and lifeshit. Once you lose the initial momentum, it's best to go on up to intermediate and regain your progression.

Rip,

I find a pattern among posters asking if it is time to change their program beyond the novice and was wondering your thoughts...

Many people are still trying to progress with heavier weight than they probably should be. Meaning, although they may have dropped the weight from workout to workout, they have not dropped it enough.

For example, the OP mentions that he is still attempting to progress 2 lbs per work out for the press. Shouldn't he drop down and try to progress 1/2 lbs or 1 lbs per workout to keep the linear progression going?

I know you advocate microloading and that is the reason why I ask.

Thanks

Microloading has its limitations. First, a 0.5 lb increase is beyond the ability of most gym equipment selections to resolve. If it's your stuff you've got a shot. The second problem is that 1/2 pound a workout translates to a 3 lb. per month increase in the press, which is a bit conservative for a growing boy. We are growing, right?

Yes, Sir...we are growing.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 06-25-2010 at 05:48 PM.