starting strength gym

Thread: Squat hip drive?

Default Squat hip drive?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

Despite reading SS and watching some of your tutorial videos I do not feel like I can identify whether I am getting good hip drive or not. I feel like probably I am not. I also do not feel like I am getting any bounce out of the bottom.

Here is a video. It is the 3rd set of a heavy (for me at least) 3x5. Could you give an opinion on whether I am getting hip drive/bounce and if not where the problem may lie.

Thanx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCrIPm-O_dQ

(skip first 50 seconds of video. It is part of my useless pre-set ritual)

No, the bounce is not good. Can you not see why?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No, the bounce is not good. Can you not see why?
    TUBOW time.

PS to verminaard - you should probably get the digits from the Sheila who walks by at around 26 seconds. Bada-BING! And as a general note, once you unrack the bar, you should start squatting instead of standing there wasting energy and tempting your form to degrade before you even start.

I'll assume that he can't see why and offer that his knees are coming forward pretty badly at the bottom and he should maybe read the Active Hip article or something.

I suggest coaching.

Ok, so my problem is knees sliding forward at bottom. I honestly did not see it. Unfortunately reading about something and being able to identify it visually do not always go hand in hand.

From reading the active hip article it seems concentrating on the cues of butt back and knees out is the best cure for this malady? If there are better cues I would love to hear them.

As far as the TUBOW, I am afraid it was not all that useful for me. In order for the BOW to be TU, you need to have a sense of where to put it in the first place, which I do not.

And to the guy commenting on the girl that walked by, all I can say is not my taste. To be honest, most of the girls I would find attractive can be found cardiotarding on the elliptical, for better or worse.

Verminaard,
    I suspect that your stance might be too narrow, which cause your knee to move forward too much. You might wanna try widen your stance a little.
    Paul, Malaysia.

starting strength coach development program
    If you were to use the TUBOW, you would put it an inch or two beyond your toes. That way when your knees slide so far forward, you'd make contact and know you were sliding forward.