starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beer on paleo, and weird pain

Default Beer on paleo, and weird pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark, I have two questions I'd like to ask. The first is about having a few beers on the weekend while taking the 3500 calorie paleo for the chubby guy approach (mid 20's bf% at 5'10", 230 lbs, weaker than I'd like). Are a few beers acceptable?

I am beginning to lift again on the novice program after having a very painful and odd sensation plague me during deadlifts before I took a break (~2 months). The only way to describe it is that it feels like my genitals are being pulled into my body. The weight wasn't heavy. It started around 225 lbs and stopped me after two reps at 245 lbs.

I DL'd today a very light 135 lbs and could feel a slight twinge in the affected area. Nothing major, but ominous none the less. Any idea about what it might be? I don't want to go to a doctor because the last time I went for an exercise related injury I was told that I should be using the smith machine as it is "the safest piece of equipment ever invented" (his actual words).

I don't mind working around an injury or pain, but this is a pretty important piece of anatomy we're talking about, so I want to work this out. I will be upping the weight 15-20 pounds on Friday, unless you say otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

Well, drinking no beer is unacceptable. And I have no personal experience with your situation because my genitals will simply not fit into my body. Perhaps a urologist would be more inclined to refrain from providing helpful exercise advice while giving you a checkup.

beer doesn't fit into the paleo diet. at a stretch, red wine does. oddly, beer fits into a vegan diet. so, which diet is more manly? hm...

I eat paleo/primal/whatever, and I drink bourbon neat or with ice. Zero carbs in bourbon... plus, it's yummy. :-)

My advice would be this: (based on what I learned at Robb Wolf's seminar)

You need to go completely 100% paleo for at least a month - no grains at all (as well as no dairy, no legumes, no vegetable or nut oils, no sugar). This is set a baseline.

Once you've done that you can experiment with re-introducing neolithic foods and see how you react. If beer is bad for you, you'll know by how you feel afterwards. Personally, I've found that I am not gluten sensitive so I drink beer in moderation with no issues. But until you establish the baseline you have no way of knowing what is making you sick or even what it feels like to be well.

Will establishing a baseline interfere with your SS training? Absolutely. So you have to decide which is more important to you.

Matt

I'm very happy to hear that first response as I completely agree with you.

As for the second part, I guess I should have taken your subtle dry wit into consideration and worded it more carefully. My genitals aren't actually being pulled inside, it just feels like it's being pulled from behind. I'm going to see how I get along without the urologist for now and make a decision if it becomes a problem in the future.

Thanks for bearing with my genital-related question. I'll try to keep them to a minimum in the future as I'm certain you have no interest in hearing about them.

Quote Originally Posted by WRH View Post
    I'm very happy to hear that first response as I completely agree with you.

As for the second part, I guess I should have taken your subtle dry wit into consideration and worded it more carefully. My genitals aren't actually being pulled inside, it just feels like it's being pulled from behind. I'm going to see how I get along without the urologist for now and make a decision if it becomes a problem in the future.

Thanks for bearing with my genital-related question. I'll try to keep them to a minimum in the future as I'm certain you have no interest in hearing about them.
    It's important to make sure you genitals are not trapped between your thighs prior to the deadlift. If so, this could cause an uncomfortable sensation when you both squeeze your legs and extend up.

This would require some extremely big thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This would require some extremely big thighs.
    Or large testicles

starting strength coach development program
    Gosh - as long as it doesn't lead to some extremely small genitals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast