starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young Ladies and Older Men (not what you're thinking)

Default Young Ladies and Older Men (not what you're thinking)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just wondering:

You say in PPST that the older a man gets the more he starts to resemble a female hormonally. You also state that for females their 1RM's are lower than what you would expect based on 5RM efforts compared to men.

So, have you observed that masters men show this effect as well - having lower 1RMs compared to younger lifters at the same 5RM level?

It certainly seems to be true of me and my training partner. We're both 41 and we never seem to do as well on 1RMs as we expect.

Thanks,

Matt

That's probably a valid observation. We'll ask the boys to comment. I don't do 1RMs so my personal experience here is not useful.

I'm 50 and my experience is the same as Matt's. I have tested some 1RMs and it seems to be the case. It never occurred to me why. Thanks, Matt.

I'm 50 as well, but unlike previous posters, my 1RMs are higher except for the deadlift.

I am seeing the same effect. My squat 5RM is 275. This should produce 310 to 316 1RM depending on who's calculator one uses. My actual 1RM to date is 295. I might be able to squeeze out a few more pounds, I am trying for 300 tonight, but 310 to 316 seems our of range for me at this time.

Another anecdotal agreement here - 41 years old, and to take squats as an example, my work set on Wednesday was 295x3x5 (oh, so close to that sweet 300 mark!), and I tried 315x1 after doing my presses just to see if I could do it once. No go. Obvious confound is that I was tired from my work sets, but I had about 10 minutes rest to give it a whack, and I got it off the pins, and then sank like a rock.

If I followed those formulas that determine 1RM, I suppose I should have been able to do that weight, if not 335 or s/t like that....

I first heard about this effect when 'someone', it might have been an online video, it might have been a magazine article, it might have been a mate in a gym, mentioned their experience as a trainer where females could do 7-8 with the weight he expected them to do 5's with. I.e. you have an excellent 5RM based off your 1RM :]

Had not thought about it in reverse until I saw this post.

If it makes you guys feel better I am 25 and have a very compressed max range.

For BS I have done 270 for 3 sets of 5 reps yet my 1RM is 295
    Press I have done 142.5 for 3 sets of 5 reps and my 1RM is 147.5
    DL - 300x5, 1RM - 325 (this went fast though)
    Bench- 212.5x5x3 1RM - 230

If anyone can tell me why this is and how to change it I am all ears

It might be interesting to know the circumstances under which the 1RMs were done.

starting strength coach development program
    I might be talking out of my rear here, but isn't efficiency in a 1RM also dependent the experience level of the lifter? I believe that I read that the more adapted the CNS, the larger the leap in the 1RM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast