starting strength gym

Thread: Dumbbell Shoulder Press and Loading

Default Dumbbell Shoulder Press and Loading

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Mark.

I saw your recommendation for loading the dumbbell bench press. I recently started doing dumbbell overhead presses as my main shoulder lift. Loading it was fine at first with a quick clean, but as the weight gets heavier I wondered if that way of loading it could cause some kind of injury.

Any tips on loading/unloading the Overhead DBP, or its execution in general? Cleaning heavy DB's to the shoulder ok?

Thanks!

This is the main limitation of the exercise. How else do you get them in place? Get two stupid guys to hand them to you while they stand on benches?

But what if those guys are so stupid they drop them on my head?

I see what you mean about the limitation. I guess when cleaning them is no longer an option it's time to return to barbells.

This is the main reason why most guys who do heavy db shoulder presses wind up doing them seated.

In another life time, I routinely worked up to seated db shoulder presses with 120's for sets of 6. When I made the switch from "bodybuilding" to actual strength training my strength on that particular exercise had little to no carryover to the press, as I think I remember 165x5 being a struggle.

Having spent a lot of time on both exercises, I'm not sure there are a ton of good reasons to have heavy db presses the focus of your shoulder training.