starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valsalva without a belt

Default Valsalva without a belt

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey coach,

I had a great workout today but one thing was brought to my attention after a hard deadlift session. i didnt put on my belt for the first time during my deadlift (120kg 1 rep) and suddenly during the rep i had to put the bar down as i got completely dizzy and lost my balance albeit this had never happend before with a belt.

according to the physiology of the exercise performed with a belt its effect should be the opposite, as the belt increases intra-abdominal pressure, so how is it that my valsalva dizziness happend actually during my beltless set? ive read in 70'sbig the importance of the belt and also the part about valsava effect - but still, im left with this question.

Possible mechanisms: The absence of a belt allowed the pressure to drop more radically at the end of the set. Time under the bar may have been longer. Dietary factors. Hard to say from one isolated instance. I have also noticed a tendency for the experts at 70sbig to use the belt with rank novices, a practice with which I disagree completely; it may be that you are using it prematurely, before you are good enough at lifting without it.

That brings up a good question i've been meaning to ask. I've recently been unsure whether or not i should be using a belt for my press. I used it for a while but then hit a stall and after recently deloading i switched back to not using it since this was brought up in the Training section of the forums and there was mixed opinions on when a belt should be used. If it helps i'm 173cm (5'8") weigh 72kg (158lbs) and my press is at 51kg (112lbs). What is considered a rank novice? and when should one use a belt for presses?

Thanks

Rip,

At what point would you say does the belt become necessary? And how does one know it's being used prematurely?

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    If it helps i'm 173cm (5'8") weigh 72kg (158lbs) and my press is at 51kg (112lbs). What is considered a rank novice? and when should one use a belt for presses?
    I don't think you need a belt, not pressing 70% of bodyweight at 158. You can't be this frail. But just out of curiosity, when was the last time you gained any weight?

Quote Originally Posted by unochamp1 View Post
    Rip,

At what point would you say does the belt become necessary? And how does one know it's being used prematurely?
    Use it when the weights get heavy. As in very hard to keep stable. One knows if it is being used prematurely if one is using it before the aforementioned criterion is satisfied.

That brings up a good question i've been meaning to ask. I've recently been unsure whether or not i should be using a belt for my press. I used it for a while but then hit a stall and after recently deloading i switched back to not using it since this was brought up in the Training section of the forums and there was mixed opinions on when a belt should be used. If it helps i'm 173cm (5'8") weigh 72kg (158lbs) and my press is at 51kg (112lbs). What is considered a rank novice? and when should one use a belt for presses?

Thanks

Damn fuzzy I remember seeing you here months ago... eat up brother.. should be heavier than that by now, no?

My rule of thumb was you introduced the belt when the trainee is no longer a novice. I consider myself an intermediate and I still only use it on the last warmup and the *heavy* work sets per SS. Light days, DE sets, it doesn't get used. I don't use it for Oly lifts or PC's either since I am still not at the intermediate weights in those exercises.

Rip, it sounds like you would introduce the belt with a gifted novice once they got into real weights (150% of bw for a BS, I would guess) so I will have to reconsider my "rule of thumb".

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't think you need a belt, not pressing 70% of bodyweight at 158. You can't be this frail. But just out of curiosity, when was the last time you gained any weight?
    Thanks for the reply. I thought as such. And although i know saying so will probably get me bludgeoned to death, i've been dieting for the past 3 months. I went from 57 to 80kg through SS and wanted to drop off some of the fat.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 08-06-2010 at 03:53 PM.

This advice pertains only to healthy individuals, correct? I have a herniated disc at L-5 S1 and I have to use the belt with weight over 200lbs.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1981 View Post
    This advice pertains only to healthy individuals, correct? I have a herniated disc at L-5 S1 and I have to use the belt with weight over 200lbs.
    Obviously.

Thanks for the reply. I thought as such. And although i know saying so will probably get me bludgeoned to death, i've been dieting for the past 3 months. I went from 57 to 80kg through SS and wanted to drop off some of the fat.
    Fuck. FOOOOOOKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go post on another board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast