starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about alternating push/pull

Default Question about alternating push/pull

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip,

Question for ya. It seems a lot of people these days are doing a set of one exercise, resting, and then a set of a different exercise. For example, one would do a set of pressing, rest, then do a set of chins or bent over rows, rest and go back and forth until they finished all their working sets. What are your thoughts on doing this? Any advantages or disadvantages? I always got the feeling from SS that you do all your sets of one exercise first before moving onto the next.

Thanks a bunch.

It doesn't seem that way around here. People can do that if they want to, but it's not efficient for training.

Jim Wendler recommends it also, but only for high rep chin-up/pull-up assistance between bench and press.

I've noticed this too. It's pretty annoying when their little circut includes the squat rack. I'll see an unused bar with some weight on it and start removing. Someone will approach me and say they have two more sets left. Then the take off and do some bicep curls on universal, some lat raises, dips, shoulder press and come back for squats 10 min later.

I feel as if I shouldn't complain because on days when it's extra hot or I'm not feeling well, I'll take a 10 min rest inbetween sets.

I can see it working as a kind of "active rest", on the other hand, it sure would be a lot of dicking around changing weights and equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It doesn't seem that way around here. People can do that if they want to, but it's not efficient for training.
    Just out of curiosity, why is it inefficient? Wouldn't this actually save time since while you are waiting for your pulling muscles to recover from the last set you can go ahead and get a working set in for your pushing muscles? I've also heard people claim that while the agonist muscles for a given exercise are contracting, the antagonist muscles are relaxing. Is this not true? Or if it's true is this just not beneficial? I only ask because I've been training this way for quite some time and if it's a poor way to train I don't want to do it anymore.

Thanks again.

Please explain to us the difference between the "pulling" muscles and the "pushing" muscles.

Please explain to us the difference between the "pulling" muscles and the "pushing" muscles.
    Alright. I know all muscles actually pull and there is no such thing as a muscle that pushes. I suppose I should have said pushing/pulling exercises.

Is there a way in which "pulling" and "pushing" exercises affect the muscles differently?

starting strength coach development program
    Is there a way in which "pulling" and "pushing" exercises affect the muscles differently?
    I don't believe so, but certain muscles are worked to a greater degree depending on the exercise being performed. A press will work the shoulders harder than a chin. Do a set of press, rest a little, then while the shoulders (and other muscles used in the press) are recovering, do a set of chins.

I believe you when you say it's not efficient (you're the expert), I'm just trying to understand why.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast