starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Posture Correction and Muscle Imbalances

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No, you don't have to stretch your psoas A LOT. But you do have to learn to stand up straight when your picture is taken, especially if you are a lazy kid with chronically lazy posture. And you have to learn how to run correctly and lift weights correctly, which helps with the standing up straight thing.
    I can back this up. I used to have shitty posture. Exaggerated lordosis, exaggerated kyphosis, etc. This wasn't fixed by me doing various stretches. It was fixed by 1) making a conscious effort to stand up straight and 2) by weight training. Perhaps for people with actual structural defects it is more complicated, but I'd bet for the vast majority of people who I see wandering around with shitty posture it can be fixed by the simple act of paying attention to one's posture.

By the way, I cannot find the definition of "APT" anywhere on Google. What does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by allyn703 View Post
    I just thought you were supposed to push your stomach against the belt. The other day I really focused on contracting my abs properly on the deadlift and pulled a PR and my back felt great the next day.
    That is a common misconception about the use of a belt. Really, what you do is put the balt on tight and then just forget it's there and use your abs like you would without it. The belt works without you having to actually "use" it.

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post

By the way, I cannot find the definition of "APT" anywhere on Google. What does this mean?
    Oh, it doesn't mean anything, really. It's just that acronyms are so fucking cool that everybody likes to use them.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 09-17-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    Anterior Pelvic Tilt - I believe. But yeah, it just means you're an under-developed weak-assed pussy. AKA UWP. Just in case anyone thinks I being too harsh, this was me 10 months ago.

It is unfortunate that so many people make so much money by making other people think that there is a specific, pinpoint, extremely technical cure for what is really a very simple general problem.

It is unfortunate that so many people make so much money by making other people think that there is a specific, pinpoint, extremely technical cure for what is really a very simple general problem.
    +1 that it's unfortunate that people can use a tricky language to make money. It's bullshit and I hate it.
    APT is cryptic but anterior pelvic tilt is basic anatomical terminology and I mean that.

I've got pictures of me before and after correcting my own anterior pelvic tilt or exagarrated lumbar lordosis which is basically the same thing.

It's not that easy to correct so if we cut the bullshit and get down to help that skinny kid. I'm even gonne cut him some slack for posting a picture and asking a honest and straight up question.
    I'm not trying to sell you a damn thing. I'm doing it because I think it's interesting. I used to walk around like a fucking banana and it's not fun! Zero and my back feels much better today.

I'm not that smart but if you think about it...it can have a lot of different causes. Say you got tight neckmuscles and your spine compensates by increasing your lordosis. Being conscious of your posture might work but it'll be much easier if you stretch the right muscles at the same time. There is a solution for you and it shouldn't cost you a cent!
    But you'll have to put some effort in to it, but nothing of value comes without effort (cred: MJ)

Now go lift some heavy weights

starting strength coach development program
    People don't like simple and general.
    Simple means the only reason they have the problem is because they're not actively trying to fix it.
    General means they're not special. And everyone likes to feel special.
    So much so that they'll shell out a lot of bread to hear about how special they are, and how they need to do this particular thing to fix themselves.

No one would buy the Mark Rippetoe self-help book: "Your Life Sucks Because You Make Bad Decisions: Stop Being an Idiot".
    Well, maybe a few of us would.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123