starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Power Snatch Teaching Method video

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After you (generously) posted this concise tutorial I decided to get myself to a gym with bumpers just to try this out. I have always been extremely weak at explosive pulls and have progressed little in comparison to other lifts. I have not even been powercleaning lately as I am recovering from a sprained wrist, so thought If I learned to snatch it would be a great thing.

In my previous attempts I had significant challenge with the empty bar, but managed to add small weights like 2.5kg per side. On this occasion I warmed up with the empty bar just like your tutorial then stuck some 10kg bumpers on. This put the bar at the right height and l thought would help me rehearse the proper pulling technique from the floor. I initiated the snatch expecting the bar to only get to my waist like some kind of weak high pull. But my god, my dilligent setup of an efficient pulling position and well timed jump threw the bar up in a flash.

I actually caught it in the rack (locked arms) but was totally unexpecting it and not focused for rack/recovery. It went backwards behind my head, but to me it felt like it was above my head so I held on tight! It eventually pulled me over and I landed in a sprawled mess with the bar on top of me. I have the video to prove it, but I am reluctant to share as I know it would immediately shoot across the web as an "epic fail".

I was an idiot for not thinking the end through, and not being focused enough to know I should I have bailed from the bar. Perhaps some words on this matter may have been useful in the tutorial video?

Thanks though, I am still happy that I can now snatch the same weight I started out squatting.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokingSnake View Post

1. Would you suggest to start doing snatches to any athlete that doesn't have access to bumper plates?
    2. Would you suggest doing snatches after finishing SS and starting texas or another advanced program.
    I think the bumper plates are probably more critical for the snath than the clean, which I notice you're doing. And I think you've got a while to go with these numbers before an intermediate program is necessary. More than 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I did enjoy the 1 arm snatch (although I'm sure it wasn't text form ) so I thought I might try these , but I guess my question is even though I did 80lb 1 arm I'm damn sure I couldn't do 160 in the PS . Any thoughts ?
    Dumbbell snatches do not convert x 2 to the two-hands snatch. Most people can do more than half in one hand, until they get really good at the two-hands movement, at which point they can do much more than twice the dumbbell. Just consider them as essentially unrelated exercises and you'll keep things less complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post

I was an idiot for not thinking the end through, and not being focused enough to know I should I have bailed from the bar. Perhaps some words on this matter may have been useful in the tutorial video?
    You wanted me to include a section on how to handle doing it wrong in the video about how to do it right?
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 09-15-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Rip, this video is fantastic. You are really really good at this.

You didn't know?

Dastardly, post the damn video. I'm waiting with popcorn.

Great video, thanks Rip!

I have an annoying problem in that overhead position. When I rotate my wrists until my palms face the ceiling, my right wrist hurts a lot. Actually yhe pain is somewhere between my palm and the wrist, hard to explain. This pain exclusively happens during the overhead position with snatch grip and during chest dips. I had that pain even during my first attempt in these exercises. It didn't start after an injury (or not that I know of).

My coach also keeps telling me to rotate my wrist backwards as in the video. But the pain just prevents me from doing that.

They recommended me to do more wrist warmups before training, some wrist curls and static stretches after training. But those are not really helping, or I am doing them wrong.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of seeing a doctor but I wanted to check with you first.

starting strength coach development program
    Have you had your wrist adjusted? Chiropractors do this, and it often helps.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234