starting strength gym

Thread: Pelvis curling in at bottom of squat

Default Pelvis curling in at bottom of squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been following SS for the past 7 months. However, I have suffered lower back trouble quite a lot.

This evening a strength coach commented that the source of my back trouble is due to going too deep in the squat. He pointed out that I have a flat back and that my pelvis begins to curl in just above parallel thus causing problems as I go deeper.

You talk extensively in SS about going to below parallel in order to get the squat to work properly. So I am confused now what I should do.

Would very much appreciate your advise, coach.

Thank you.

The problem is seldom excessive depth, unless you're 4" below parallel. The problem is usually that you have not shoved your knees out and controlled your lumbar spine. Here, again:

http://startingstrength.com/articles...2_rippetoe.pdf

Also, video would be helpful since, as he has said before, Rip can't see you from over there.

Coach,

I read and re-read the Active Hip 2 article and tried again to implement everything in there today - shoving the knees right out and doing the "superman" position etc.

I asked someone to take a video here. Would very much appreciate your comments.

I am going slow and pausing so you can see more clearly. I don't usually do it that way.

Thanks again.

Pausing at the bottom unnecessarily will make the bottom of the squat loose. Failing to stand up at the top to reset the back does the same thing. Looking down and using the low-bar position works better too. Your low-back is not terribly loose, but it will improve if you learn to squat correctly. And I didn't see the squat before so I can't comment on improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Pausing at the bottom unnecessarily will make the bottom of the squat loose. Failing to stand up at the top to reset the back does the same thing. Looking down and using the low-bar position works better too. Your low-back is not terribly loose, but it will improve if you learn to squat correctly. And I didn't see the squat before so I can't comment on improvement.
    Coach - I squatted again today after using the "superman" posture. I made sure to stand right up, shove knees out, look down, not pause, and use a low-bar position, but my pelvis still curled in.

Is there anything else I can try to help improve the pelvis curling?
    Do you think I should continue to squat to this depth or might it be safer for me (personally) to cut them off?

As I said before, I don't think your low back is that terribly loose. Who is telling you that it is?

A strength coach discussed it with me. I think he follows Stuart McRobert's approach on most things and knows about your approach.

My lower back has been causing me problems since I started training and following SS 7 months ago. I almost always have some niggles and stiffness and I've had to take time off training due to very bad pain several times this past year.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, there you go.