starting strength gym

Thread: OK, I searched...

Default OK, I searched...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    OK? I fucking did. Using Google. Couldn't find the answer I am looking for, and I don'thave my books with me.

So here's my question:

Deadlift is unique in the program in that we are trying to keep it ahead of another major lift (squat, obviously), but we only deadlift once for every two times we squat (in the Novice progression using an A/B workout rotation). Logic dictates that the increase in weight lifted from workout to workout must then be roughly double that of the squat, even when one accounts for the fact that the deadlift should have started out well ahead of the squat, otherwise the squat will eventually catch up to the deaflift.

Given that, how much should deadlift go up each workout? Is my assumption above correct?

Thanks,

Steve

The squat eventually does catch up to the deadlift. It just takes some time, 9 months-2 years, perhaps. This is the result of the program numbers and the squat getting strong.

What about when your squat surpasses the deadlift? My best recent 5x3 squatting was 435, best 5 was 445. I squat 500 easily on Monday. My dead lift at 435x5 felt like I was pulling through molasses and I was only able to pull 455 for a single on Monday. Is there a time to get more involved in the deadlift even while you're making good linear progress on squats? I'm doing the advanced novice program right now but adding 10 lbs to my squat on Mon/Fri. I only DL once per week and add 10 lbs per session.

I don't have exact dates but it felt like my DL felt was going up 10lbs for a long time. Only recently has it slowed to 5lb jumps. This was while my squat was suffering due to being weak and catching myself squatting high in the mirror. After re-setting there was a point when there was around a 70lb difference between my squat and DL, now there is 45lb difference. My squat right now feels pretty strong but my deadlift seems to be hitting a plateau.

Quote Originally Posted by BCS View Post
    What about when your squat surpasses the deadlift? My best recent 5x3 squatting was 435, best 5 was 445. I squat 500 easily on Monday. My dead lift at 435x5 felt like I was pulling through molasses and I was only able to pull 455 for a single on Monday. Is there a time to get more involved in the deadlift even while you're making good linear progress on squats? I'm doing the advanced novice program right now but adding 10 lbs to my squat on Mon/Fri. I only DL once per week and add 10 lbs per session.
    When the deadlift gets passed by the squat, especially early on, we look for high squats and bad deadlift techinique. More involved in the deadlift?

I was trying ask if I should deadlift more to make up for the deficit, maybe a heavy and a light deadlift during the week. I think I have poor deadlift technique rather than high squats. I'll try to get a video of both soon for a critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    When the deadlift gets passed by the squat, especially early on, we look for high squats and bad deadlift techinique. More involved in the deadlift?
    What is the most common trainee error in the reverse situation? I have always found deadlift much easier than squat, and currently I am pulling 360 for a single, while my squat is languishing at 225 x 5. Presumably I am doing something wrong somewhere ... or has it got something to do with the fact that when I stand up straight my knuckles drag on the floor?

It will be either anthropometry, as you mention, or a lack of understanding of the hip-drive concept.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stickman View Post
    What is the most common trainee error in the reverse situation? I have always found deadlift much easier than squat, and currently I am pulling 360 for a single, while my squat is languishing at 225 x 5. Presumably I am doing something wrong somewhere ... or has it got something to do with the fact that when I stand up straight my knuckles drag on the floor?
    Im in basically the same boat. I can pull 350 for a single on command, but squat 225x5 with difficulty. I have squatted 250x2, but it was easily the most heroic feat of my summer, and nearly killed me.

As Mark says: I am both built all wrong for the squat (hilariously long legs, all of it in the femurs), and hilariously awful squat form. All you can do is just keep chipping away at it.