starting strength gym

Thread: Pain in upper part of spine/neck sprain from overhead pressing.

Default Pain in upper part of spine/neck sprain from overhead pressing.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Well, for a while now...Sometimes when I overhead press and am completely finished with all the sets, I end up some how "spraining" my neck which makes it difficult to turn...Usually this lasts for 2-3. The effect takes place almost instantly after my presses. Although, that is occasional.

My second problem is that usually I feel a lot of pressure in my spine-usually from where I position the squat bar-in my presses during the set. And the pain becomes worse after the set and goes away. Usually after presses I am forced to keep my back arched otherwise the pain persists in my back, as if someone is trying to push the head of the barbell in my back. The pain "measures" at least 1 feet. In other words I feel it go down from the squat bar position on back to 1 feet down my spine. Also, I noticed then when I'm lifting the bar up my left arm goes up a lot quicker (and has an easier time pushing the bar up) as compared to my right arm. The misalignment of the bar gets worse during each rep....

So any advice for me? I'm trying my best to keep tight, and arch my back...

Thanks in advance,
    BicepCurlsAreForFags.

Sounds like you have a neck problem. Get it checked.

After you see the Chiro, sounds like you need some press instruction.
    We...
    A) Do not shove our head through any imaginary window. That's what you're doing. Knock it off. We drive our torso in between the bar and the floor.

We also...

2. Do not "arch" our backs (therefore letting go of our abs) to press while we throw our head through previously mentioned imaginary window. We stay tight (abs) and use our hips to propel us to drive our torso in between the bar and the floor. This is why the Press is a super duper Ab exercise.

These misconceptions on how to properly press seems to be taking a toll on you folks...get proper coaching; attend a Starting Strength seminar; come on down to WFAC for some training; buy the DVD; read the other dude's thread on Pressing/Pulled traps. PAY ATTENTION!

jp

Quote Originally Posted by jep6095 View Post
    After you see the Chiro, sounds like you need some press instruction.
    We...
    A) Do not shove our head through any imaginary window. That's what you're doing. Knock it off. We drive our torso in between the bar and the floor.

We also...

2. Do not "arch" our backs (therefore letting go of our abs) to press while we throw our head through previously mentioned imaginary window. We stay tight (abs) and use our hips to propel us to drive our torso in between the bar and the floor. This is why the Press is a super duper Ab exercise.

These misconceptions on how to properly press seems to be taking a toll on you folks...get proper coaching; attend a Starting Strength seminar; come on down to WFAC for some training; buy the DVD; read the other dude's thread on Pressing/Pulled traps. PAY ATTENTION!

jp
    Thanks for the advice man. I'll just go reread the press section in the book, haven't really touched it in a while. Shouldn't hurt to brush up my memory.

Oh 1 more thing, I'd attend the seminars but my budget can't afford it. And I didn't pull my traps, and I am paying attention.

Thanks for the advice man
    Did you just call me 'man'? When are you dudes going to realize I'm a chick?!

I'll just go reread the press section in the book, haven't really touched it in a while.
    Good deal, it couldn't hurt. We all get a little off over time.

And I didn't pull my traps, and I am paying attention.
    Well alright then.
    jp

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jep6095 View Post
    Did you just call me 'man'? When are you dudes going to realize I'm a chick?!
    When you start asking Rip about pink lifting shoes and matching belts?

(And maybe not even then)

(Not that there's anything wrong with that...)