starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip's Rogue weightlifting shoes

Default Rip's Rogue weightlifting shoes

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It appears that Bill over at Rogue Fitness has all sizes back in stock for the Rippetoe weightlifting shoe. Get 'em while you can!
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 09-27-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Spelling. Steve is stoopid.

Rip,

I've looked at all the search stuff on shoes but wanted to ask you about the new shoes with the .5 heel (the Do-Wins? and your boot?). I do deadlifts (with a clean grip/hook grip), low bar squats like you showed me in Austin a few years ago at the state meet but I wondered if your "Rips Boot" would work for someone like me who is more focused on competing in olympic lifting? My seven year old Addidas "weightlifting" shoes have finally split in the sole all the way up to my foot, they were great but a nightmare to breakin with my wide feet (was taking them off inbetween sets the first few months before they broke in, almost gave them away).

Anyway I'm looking at getting a new pair. I have always felt the starting pull off the ground was my weak point and you say these .5 heels are better for that (if I catch it in the snatch or clean+jerk full squat position I can stand up with it-its just the start that has always seemed to be hit or miss?)....

Do you think the .5 heel would help? As much as everyone says the rip boots look ugly they kind of look different than a olifting shoe to me which is I think is great anyway!

Thanks for your time, got my new USAW card and I'm up in the 46-50 bracket now, yehaw!

John Janecek

Actually, Steve is a poor typist. If Steve were stoopid, he would not be signed up for the barbell cert in ATL in October, now would he?

This just made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by John Janecek View Post
    I've looked at all the search stuff on shoes but wanted to ask you about the new shoes with the .5 heel (the Do-Wins? and your boot?). I do deadlifts (with a clean grip/hook grip), low bar squats like you showed me in Austin a few years ago at the state meet but I wondered if your "Rips Boot" would work for someone like me who is more focused on competing in olympic lifting? My seven year old Addidas "weightlifting" shoes have finally split in the sole all the way up to my foot, they were great but a nightmare to breakin with my wide feet (was taking them off inbetween sets the first few months before they broke in, almost gave them away).

Anyway I'm looking at getting a new pair. I have always felt the starting pull off the ground was my weak point and you say these .5 heels are better for that (if I catch it in the snatch or clean+jerk full squat position I can stand up with it-its just the start that has always seemed to be hit or miss?)....

Do you think the .5 heel would help?
    I like the .5" heel for the pull off the floor. Tall heels shove the shins forward, and we teach the pull of the floor from the mid-foot. The low heel is specific to this style of floor pull -- hips higher and barbell back so that the bar path off the floor is vertical and therefore more mechanically efficient. The toe box of these shoes is wide, so they'll immediately be more comfortable. If you get them, call me and let me know what you think.

Thanks for the heads-up. I just ordered a pair. Hopefully the .5" heel will allow for better top portion of the deadlift than the chucks. I gather it's got something to do with the quadriceps being in a better position?

Something like that.

The guys at the firehouse call them my frankenstein shoes.

They are awesome, a huge difference from lifting in barefeet!

Finally back in stock...I just ordered them.

starting strength coach development program
    The metal hoop piece for the strap broke on mine (was trying to get them fuckers tight).

Any thoughts for a quick fix?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast