starting strength gym

Thread: iliotibial band syndrome

Default iliotibial band syndrome

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach,

I was at one of your seminars in 2009, hopefully you come to SOCAL with the SS seminar.....

I have a client, 36 female. 5'4" about 120 lbs, comes to me as a runner.

I have her squat, deads, and presses, and power cleans for strength development. But do not see her as nearly as much as I would like in order to increase her strength to a point that would really benefit.

She runs a marathon, On mile 23 an old injury pops up, iliotibial band syndrome, and she is forced to walk the last 3 miles....

I want to get her back into the strength program ASAP, but I am not sure how long to have her rest, and what are the best protocal for healing that type of injury, to go beyond that what exercises would be best to get her back in shape,,My thoughts were, squat, Dead, Press..

ANY ideas???

thanks for all

She needs an ITB release from a therapist. After that she squats, presses and deadlifts. Cleans will be later. How long has it been since the marathon? And aren't marathons a really good idea? I wish I'd thought that up.

Runners with ITB issues love foam rolling. If it makes her cry it means it is working. She should be doing it every day ever after Rip's recommended ITB release.

Thanks,

Yea marathons are a GREAT idea,,i always thought one day, I would like to run back and fourth for 26 miles...And where did they get the idea for 26, why not 25 or 27??? But for some reason, people want to do them, even though 90% of them run completly incorrect and just damage themselves......ok, off that rant...ha.

Her Marathon was sunday the 4th of Oct

thanks coach.

one more cool thing about marathons..cost $115.00..your in the wrong business Coach.

She'll be ready for the release by Thursday or Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by ndoud View Post
    Thanks,

Yea marathons are a GREAT idea,,i always thought one day, I would like to run back and fourth for 26 miles...And where did they get the idea for 26, why not 25 or 27??? But for some reason, people want to do them, even though 90% of them run completly incorrect and just damage themselves......ok, off that rant...ha.

Her Marathon was sunday the 4th of Oct

thanks coach.
    Not defending the marathon itself, though I do not see any reason to deride it - it's not any more extreme than backsquatting, say, 500#, but the answer to your question lies in history. Google is your friend.

Hey Steve

good idea, google is my friend.......i am going to answer that question right now. but how many people attempt a 500lb back squat that do not know the proper mechanics of squatting? I dont know that answer but im guessing not as many people to start running miles upon miles who do not know the proper mechanics of running and get injured. I am not against running marathons, but am against people damaging themselves...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    Not defending the marathon itself, though I do not see any reason to deride it but the answer to your question lies in history.
    Hey,

That guy died, right?

sb