starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Stuff Up on the Home Page - Starr article and a Split Jerk Video

Default New Stuff Up on the Home Page - Starr article and a Split Jerk Video

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The video is long. May you have patience with us.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the new content lately. Keep it coming.

Many thanks Rip.

The video is long, but every second is worth while.

This 'Platform' series is awesome. It really teaches in a concise and simple manner. It allows those who are driven enough to self teach/coach o-lifting, like bill starr advocated in his latest article.

Can I make a request, and let me know if it is impossible.
    But can we have another 'Platform' video, teaching us how to full clean/snatch based on power cleans/snatch technique, ie 'the drop under'?

thanks again,
    R P McMurphy

I don't know, Randle. Everybody knows I don't really know much about Olympic weightlifting.

Any plans to include the olympic movements in the next edition of SS?

Power snatch will be included.

Hey Rip, would you be able to answer a quick question for me about the jerk video?
    In the split jerk video you say that elbow tension is pulling his hands away from the bar. I started cleaning with a wider grip recently in order to shorten the jerk. Unfortunately my hands really want to pull away from the bar in the same way as in the video, and it makes the jerk feel unstable because I'm pretty much jerking from my finger tips. What would you suggest to correct this? If it's any help, I think I'm similarly built to the guy in the video (I'm 6'1, 250). Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't know, Randle. Everybody knows I don't really know much about Olympic weightlifting.
    Rip, I think you're full of it. I'm pretty sure you can coach any useful movement extremely well. You should write a book coaching other movements that you think are useful for various stages in peoples physical progression.

Quote Originally Posted by abenn View Post
    Hey Rip, would you be able to answer a quick question for me about the jerk video?
    In the split jerk video you say that elbow tension is pulling his hands away from the bar. I started cleaning with a wider grip recently in order to shorten the jerk. Unfortunately my hands really want to pull away from the bar in the same way as in the video, and it makes the jerk feel unstable because I'm pretty much jerking from my finger tips. What would you suggest to correct this? If it's any help, I think I'm similarly built to the guy in the video (I'm 6'1, 250). Thanks.
    I have found that it requires a lot of elbow and wrist preparation, as well as a focus on the shift from both lifter and coach to reinforce the correct grip until the old one goes away. In other words, it's hard and there's no trick.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Well, your feet sure know something. That's an impressive quick movement.
    Shame that lifting the barbell makes you slow. You'd be a rope jumping champion or something if you hadn't spent all those years under the bar!

Damn fine video. I like this one-on-one format a bit more than the rotating student thing you used for the SS DVD.
    You could clearly produce another DVD teaching the power snatch, snatch, cleans, and so forth.
    Not that I mind getting them for free, of course, but I'd buy a disc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast