starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skewed 1RM max calculations...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by stickman View Post
    Any advice for guys who might want to compete but don't have a Rip to guide them? Am toying with the idea of entering a masters' event ...
    The more meets you enter the better you will get at selecting opening attempts and figuring out how big a jump to make, etc, etc. You can also be your own coach and be quite good at it if you have the ability to objectively analyze yourself (i.e. you make decisions with your brains and not your emotions), and you are not a pussy. I also suggest not chasing after other lifters at the meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I know from the progress of training and his level of advancement about what a guy can do for a 1RM. I can tell from a heavy set of 5 about where the opening attempt should be. After watching the 1st attempt, we decide from there whether to do a 2nd and 3rd, or just a 2nd.
    Why would you do just a 2nd, and no 3rd?

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    Yeah, having trained for a while, I can tell about where my 1RM based upon my worksets. Probably not as reliably as an impartial coach though. It's just something you pick up I think.
    ... but you can only figure that out if you actually DO 1RMs from time to time. The point I was making is that Rip is discouraging us from doing 1RMs (at least on the deadlift) outside of the meet, since they are not particularly effective training tools, are hard to recover from and (presumably) carry more risk than 5RMs. That leaves those of us without an experienced coach in somewhat of a bind.

I was thinking that trying some 1RMs every three months or so might be a reasonable compromise - one can then guess the 1RM at intermediate time points from the progress made on the 5RMs - Rip, does that sound sensible or too much risk for not enough benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by Brenden View Post
    Why would you do just a 2nd, and no 3rd?
    Because some advanced lifters have used up enough gas that only one very heavy deadlift is all that is there. You could just do your last warmup on the platform, but I never found it necessary to go 9-for-9 for its own sake.

I was thinking that trying some 1RMs every three months or so might be a reasonable compromise - one can then guess the 1RM at intermediate time points from the progress made on the 5RMs - Rip, does that sound sensible or too much risk for not enough benefit?
    Why don't you just go to a meet 4x/year, if knowing your 1RM is that important to you?

danimal, the way you worded your first post I'm assuming your training with Wendler's 5/3/1 program? What kind of gains have you made?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why don't you just go to a meet 4x/year, if knowing your 1RM is that important to you?
    Dang! I guess you got the common sense gene or something!

That leaves those of us without an experienced coach in somewhat of a bind.
    Nonsense. You don't need a coach to be a good lifter or to make your own choices about your training. If you are stuck, try something to fix it. My deadlift has always been my weak link and has always dragged down my total. After trying many different methods to get it moving, I found a combination that worked.

I PR'd my deadlift this past summer by 40 lbs by doing NOTHING BUT HEAVY SINGLES for my deadlift training (Fridays) and did Goodmornings for 5x5 (Monday).

However....There is an important distinction to make between HEAVY SINGLES and 1RM's. They are NOT the same thing, especially on the deadlift. Leading up to the meet, I never pulled a 1RM in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    Nonsense. You don't need a coach to be a good lifter or to make your own choices about your training.
    OK, I should have said " ... those of us inexperienced lifters who have not been to meets before and who are without an experienced coach in somewhat of a bind."

But as Rip has now pointed out - this can easily be fixed by going to lots of meets.

Default Deadlift training

Heavy ass deadlifts

Second Andy, my deadlift is awesome and I am self coached...also use singles all the time, I think the eccentric portion of the deadlift is stupid, some cycles I actually refuse to do it due to damage, the lift is basically concentric only, so practcing your set up over and over again is helpful I think...a lot of people bounce their reps and shit so high rep sets may be less effective than pause reps or many singles with short rest periods, how about video tape yourself and look at your form and your speed then determine how much more you have left in the tank...

all may help you get better at DL

starting strength coach development program
    The same thing happened to me. I did 6 months on Wendler's program and my final squat set was 300x10. I think that calc would have put my 1rm around 400lbs. I went in for a 1rm check just for fun and at 365 it felt pretty heavy and at most would have got 385. I think if you spend more time in the higher rep maxes you build strength endurance vs maximum strength production.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast