starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast iron or rubber coated plates?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    I like to leave a little tiny gap between the plates, its the mating call for good strength trainers.
    That was the best thing I have read in a while. Thank you.

Shhhh, did you here that? Sounds like plate thunder...... its coming from that building over there.... quick.

On this topic of plate materials and droppability;

Ive heard that you only need bumpers plates OR a platform, but not necessarily both to allow droppability without damage.

Is this true? Is it possible to treat iron plates the same way you would treat bumpers providing you have a rubber platform?

I have rubber coateds. Besides a legendary powerlifting scene in Melbourne barbells are pretty much new to the Australian market so you won't find any rusted Yorks going for $1/kg on ebay.

I find rubber plates do less damage to the floor than metal (with bunnings and clarke rubber being boardline extortion making your own platforms is a bitch) and make for quieter training, though high quality bumpers are better by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Ive heard that you only need bumpers plates OR a platform, but not necessarily both to allow droppability without damage. Is this true? Is it possible to treat iron plates the same way you would treat bumpers providing you have a rubber platform?
    You have heard this from whom? A guy that sells equipment, I'll bet.

I bought used rubber coated plates with handles for the same price as bare metal plates and think I made the right choice for me. I like that the rubber coated plates are not as noisy. Also since I'm working out in the great Canadian outdoors, the plates don't suck so much heat out of my hands when the temperature is low. (I keep the barbell in the house between workouts.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You have heard this from whom? A guy that sells equipment, I'll bet.
    I heard it from the strength & conditioning coach at my local university. He apparently currently holds the British Squat Record in his weight class too.

Ah. He doesn't buy his own equipment.

starting strength coach development program
    Dastardly is that Bath uni by any chance? I've heard there are some strong powerlifters and athletes that train there? Anyhow from my experience at St Andrews so far bumpers are best as they allow you to look like you lifting more weight as 20kg look like 10kg!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12