starting strength gym

Thread: Knees Too Far Out?

Default Knees Too Far Out?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip,

Is it possible too push the knees too far out if the feet are positioned too narrow when squatting?

I recently re-learned to squat, i.e. with my feet a bit closer together as I think I was a bit wide before. I've been experiencing some very tight adductors, I mean abnormally tight compared to what I have encountered previously, and what I would describe as a 'tendinitis' type feeling in the illipsoas/pectineus/adductor longus region of my upper inner left leg.

I'm thinking this could be caused by my feet being set too narrow and pushing my knees outside of my feet, something what you would see when an olympic lifter is pulling a snatch.

Do you think the knees being pushed too far out could contribute to these symptoms.

Thanks.

Do the symptoms subside when you moderate your knee position?

Yes, but I lose the contribution from the adductors and I am and feel weak when I try to keep the knees in a bit.

The adductor tightness is the minor issue here, its that 'tendinitis'/painful type felling in the upper about 45 deg medial portion of my leg that I have been working through.

If the pain is bad enough, you'll have to modify your stance until it heals. But this is one of them there deals that I can't really see from here.