starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has the whole world gone mad?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Travis, I live not too far away from you. What gym were you at if you don't mind me asking. I lifted at a gym( I forget the name of it) in Joliet about 4 weeks ago that didn't mind a bunch of us powerlifting. I'll have to get the name for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisRussellDC View Post
    I live in Joliet, about 45 minutes southwest of Chicago.
    Never mind then. Good luck with your gym and everything.

Travis, hadn't seen a post from you in a dog's age and was actually just wondering about you when you posted this.

Now, it seems to me that you are genuinely over-reacting. Take a deep breath. Ignore the kid. If he gets in the way again, then go to the manager who clearly has no problem with what you are doing.

At one local base gym the floor is heavily matted, but the local bodybuilder (about 5'3"--built like an attack hamster) who runs the weight room still wants me to do DLs on another thin mat over the flooring. Seems there's parquet underneath, he's just overly concerned.

Really, considering what other people have posted on this board about their gyms, yours is a great gym.

I was training at a Cardinal Fitness because it's 2 blocks from my office (my office is in New Lenox on hwy 30). Definitely not optimal for what I wanted to do. Since it was so close I could go over lunch in between patients. And up until last week, I could spend 95% of my time in the squat rack and not be hassled.

Wouldn't mind looking into the gym in Joliet for weekend training when I have more time to drive over there. At least until I have all of my equipment set up at home.

By the way, UPS says my barbell is scheduled to be delivered today. kickass...

Five Star Fitness was the name of that gym. They have four squat racks and a bunch of bench. They also have have platform and some bumpers. The atmosphere of the place was pretty cool. All the free weight stuff was in its own room and they didn't bother us at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisRussellDC View Post
    I was training at a Cardinal Fitness because it's 2 blocks from my office (my office is in New Lenox on hwy 30). Definitely not optimal for what I wanted to do. Since it was so close I could go over lunch in between patients. And up until last week, I could spend 95% of my time in the squat rack and not be hassled.

Wouldn't mind looking into the gym in Joliet for weekend training when I have more time to drive over there. At least until I have all of my equipment set up at home.

By the way, UPS says my barbell is scheduled to be delivered today. kickass...
    I train at a Cardinal Fitness on the east side of Indianapolis. They are all different. Mine is actually very powerlifting friendly. One of the PT's actually installed a small platform (albeit a shitty one) for deadlifts, power cleans and the like. However, the one by where I work bitched me out for using chalk while deadlifting. They said that some of the members are allergic to chalk. Never heard of that.

Quote Originally Posted by OITW View Post
    Travis, hadn't seen a post from you in a dog's age and was actually just wondering about you when you posted this.

Now, it seems to me that you are genuinely over-reacting. Take a deep breath. Ignore the kid. If he gets in the way again, then go to the manager who clearly has no problem with what you are doing.

At one local base gym the floor is heavily matted, but the local bodybuilder (about 5'3"--built like an attack hamster) who runs the weight room still wants me to do DLs on another thin mat over the flooring. Seems there's parquet underneath, he's just overly concerned.

Really, considering what other people have posted on this board about their gyms, yours is a great gym.

If I took this incident as motivation/inspiration to build my own home gym (something I've wanted to do for a very long time) then how could anyone consider my action/reaction as an "over-reaction"...?

In the end, it doesn't matter how much someone thinks my gym is "great." If it's not what I want then it's not great for me. I want a gym that allows loud clanging of weights from heavy deadlifts and cleans; a gym that allows chalk, a gym that allows me to blare out German power metal as loudly as I want, a gym that is open on major holidays if I have the urge to work out on Easter Sunday, a gym that doesn't allow members to perform curls or standing ab crunches with surgical tuning in the only squat rack when someone wants to squat...

I know of such a place. It's called my garage.

Sounds great, just make sure you have training buddies.

The bugbear of training loses half it fearsome aspects to the tired athlete who has a lot at stake, and must continue at his work, if it be done in company with a friend or friends. There is nothing so fatiguing as the raising of iron weights time after time with no one to watch, no one to encourage, no one to advise – to express surprise at your improvement. To surprise and beat your friends is always an encouragement, and in practicing with weights you cannot get the right positions unless you have an expert lifter to occasionally offer a hint. Lifting, too, may become dangerous if practiced by oneself, so you see the idea is to endeavour to make your training as much a pleasure as possible.
    -Arthur Saxon, The Development of Physical Power 1906

Default sigh

yes I feel your pain. I frequent "anytime fitness" out of bastrop. On any given day I'm there thee is the group of 40 somethings social networking or screwing around on their "husband/wife" and the BS workouts they are doing that could be performed at home for free.

Then you have the pussy ass music they play in the background....complete trash man..

It gets under my skin. I'm about to get the rack built and put in my connex container outside, I just need to level the damn thing.

I'm thinking get the rack mark designed, 350lbs of plates, a nice bar and a roman chair, and some 70s metal / rocky music in the background....and no annoying soccermoms setting their babies in cribs under my squat bar (no bs this happened twice)

Who sets a infant under a tatted up guy squatting 225+ lbs? The ENTIRE FUCKING EARTH HAS GONE MAD MAN.

Its the flouride and estrogen in the food supply.

starting strength coach development program
    I had a similar "poor" experience in these commercial gyms and opted to build my own gym at home.

I started my SS log shortly after assembling the power rack and haven't looked back since. It's been a great experience, and partner or not, I have the drive to do it myself as I always have.

My girlfriend works out with me, but I hardly call it a partner as I don't trust her to spot me if shit hits the fan.

All in all, doing my own gym was the best thing I could have done for my lifting "career." I can lift when I want, I can use whatever I want, and there is no line for the retards you mentioned (except in my case it was forearm curls and 5 minute bullshit talk sessions with his buddy on the smith machine).

I'm trying to get friends to start the SS program, but as my father says (former competitive lifter) you can't give people motivation. It's sad though, because one friend in particular is about 6'6" and has immense potential to be a beast.

Good luck with your gym and with getting patrons if that is in fact your goal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12