starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on high bar squats and knee joint tension

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    I'd say you're wrong, (well, kind of right, but for the wrong reason, specifically in what I've highlight above.)

I cannot see hamstrings flexing the knee during the descent in any squat, anymore than the triceps extend the elbow during the lowering of a bicep curl. Ultimately gravity is responsible, with the quadriceps engaged eccentrically to slow & control the descent.

I'd similarly see the hamstrings (along with glute max & adductor magnus) being involved eccentrically in controlling hip flexion during the decent. This would result in the stretching of the hamstrings which The Omni describes, basically an increase in the distance between the fibula & tibia, and the ischium. This increase will be much greater in a low bar than a front squat.

The hamstrings then contract to close this gap during the ascent. Of course, the bigger the gap the greater the posterior tension at the bottom, and the greater the hamstring involvement in hip extension.
    Got it. I was envisioning the hamstrings playing too active a part in the flexion of the knee during the descent.

And lots of people seem to think that the hip flexors play an active role in flexing the hip in the squat too. This is equivalent to saying that the lats are involved in lowering a press.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And lots of people seem to think that the hip flexors play an active role in flexing the hip in the squat too. This is equivalent to saying that the lats are involved in lowering a press.
    I suppose since I've never thought that, I should have applied the principle to the hamstrings/knees without being told to do so. I have no excuse for this silliness.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, I missed it too, so you get a pass this time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12