starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The "other" way to do a clean.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Then why does he miss forward when he misses, or step forward to save the lift EVERY SINGLE TIME?
    The interesting thing that I've been thinking about is the effect of lateral motion of the bar - how it's induced, and more importantly, it's implications. Short version: not so bad at the bottom of a lift, and it's going to be a handful at the top. The heavier the weight is in relation to the athlete, the more true this will be, and the more damning the implications.

I'll just claim Dimas as my lifter to shorten the process.
    BJB82 doesn't mean it in the sense that it sounds, I think he's commenting that the religious who've drank the Kool-aide at USAW will not be convinced unless / until you produce said athlete. He (BJB82) is, of course, wrong, but only in magnitude. The Powers that be will not be convinced until you eliminate them from competition entirely. This argument ("Produce an Athlete!" - which I think BJB82 is merely observing, not engaging in) is specious at best because it totally ignores the chances (vanishingly small) that you will have in your possession an athlete who is not only willing to train, and is dedicated, but is also genetically predisposed in the first place. This of course sets aside that your goal is to teach beginners to lift, not produce world-class athletes.

How does who deadlift, Grant?
    Why, those guys! You know - THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randle McMurphy View Post
    Do you reccomend that we try and keep our shoulders over the bar for as long as possible?

I have noticed that i can bring my knees under the bar as soon as the bar clears my knees. I guess this is wrong, because this is in effect rotating my back to the 'slightly-behind-vertical position of the shrug' as soon as possible rather than keep over for as long as possible.

Also, is there a danger that your shoulders can go TOO FAR over the bar and you can end up performing an explosive RDL? and how can one prevent this?
    I think what Rip would recommend is proper basic pulling mechanics, and in the 3rd edition, I have the feeling that a lot of discussion about proper pulling mechanics will talk about the expression of those mechanics being a nearly vertical bar path, because of the consequences of failure to maintain one. So, if I can step in for Rip for a bit, I'd say to get the basics nailed down, and then get strong. And once you are good and strong and are ready to focus on the O-lifts, you're going to start to figure out what works for you to get the weight to your shoulders / hands. What Rip is saying here is that the preponderance of the evidence is that is going to happen from the standard pulling position eventually, along with a (relatively) vertical bar path, so you might as well get that nailed down now.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 11-19-2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Because I always edit what I write - it makes more sense the second time.

Default Here is another cool lifter who has his shoulders over the bar.

Vencelas Dabaya is pretty good lifter who has pretty tidy technique. It looks very pretty.

I'm not as good as rip with the analysis, but he seems to adhere to the rules of correct pulling mechanics. Maybe Rip can critique.

Also, pay attension to his jerk grip adjustment.

I have no idea how he does this. Maybe Rip can tell us.
    But the bar seems to be somehow locked onto his shoulders, to the point where the elbows, don't need to be high, infact often they are directly under or even behind the bar. Seems very a useful trick.

Notice how his teammate matam (the first guy) has very different technique

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post

This argument ("Produce an Athlete!" - which I think BJB82 is merely observing, not engaging in) is specious at best because it totally ignores the chances (vanishingly small) that you will have in your possession an athlete who is not only willing to train, and is dedicated, but is also genetically predisposed in the first place. This of course sets aside that your goal is to teach beginners to lift, not produce world-class athletes.
    Steve in ATL, We agree on all accounts. I do however engage in this stuff more than most I would guess. I'm in a unique position where I have taught SS for the last 2 years to well over 150 people. And the number of people I teach this stuff to has grown every year so far. I have just tapped in to an entire city of high school athletes so it will grow again this year. I surely will not teach this method to the next gold medalist but the more people I teach this to, the more people who will teach this to someone else and then we have progress.

Thanks for the discussion and seeing where I was coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Randle McMurphy View Post
    Vencelas Dabaya is pretty good lifter who has pretty tidy technique. It looks very pretty. I'm not as good as rip with the analysis, but he seems to adhere to the rules of correct pulling mechanics. Maybe Rip can critique.

Also, pay attension to his jerk grip adjustment. I have no idea how he does this. Maybe Rip can tell us. But the bar seems to be somehow locked onto his shoulders, to the point where the elbows, don't need to be high, infact often they are directly under or even behind the bar. Seems very a useful trick.

Notice how his teammate matam (the first guy) has very different technique
    These are warmup weights for both of these guys. At 80%, much inefficiency is tolerable. Note that Debaya power cleans all these. Download it in MP4 and watch them frame by frame if you're really curious about what's happening during the pull.

And what is it you don't understand about his jerk reset? He lowers the elbows with the light bar resting on his sternum to get a better elbow drive position for the jerk.

These are warmup weights for both of these guys. At 80%, much inefficiency is tolerable. Note that Debaya power cleans all these. Download it in MP4 and watch them frame by frame if you're really curious about what's happening during the pull.

And what is it you don't understand about his jerk reset? He lowers the elbows with the light bar resting on his sternum to get a better elbow drive position for the jerk.
    I was saying that dabaya has good technique, like dimas, because he sticks to the correct pulling mechanics that you illustrate in SS. Maybe that bar is a little forward of his mid-foot. i don't know. But his shoulders are over the bar, and the bar path seems pretty straight.

What don't get about the jerk is where has he got the bar latched? It seems to be hooked behind his collar bones, rather than his front delts. But his collar bones don't seem to stick out in any special way, and holding the bar on the collar bones is pretty painful. He does this on all his jerks.

starting strength coach development program
    Feel the area behind your collar bones. Do really think you could put a bar there and not have it choke you off? It's just sitting in front of the collarbones on the sternum.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456