starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: your opinion on forced/negative reps in an experienced trainee's program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You could say this about almost any high level strength or physique athlete. Although, perhaps to your point, I don't think Ronnie Coleman ever went through a bunch of injuries... and he is definitely a high-rep, no attention to negatives guy.
    Actually, Ronnie Coleman had a broken back and he has nerve damage in his lats and triceps.

And he was a strong mofo...squatting 800x2 and deadlifting over 800 as well. He did his share of low rep, high intensity lifting too.

Dorian Put it down to restricted calories because he was in the final weeks of dieting, Also did the gear make his muscles to strong for his joints?
    ronnie coleman had badly trapped nerves down his left side. (apprently I aint a doctor) but his left part of his body from shoulders/arms/legs are withered to fuck.

I used to train at temple before I moved away. Awesome gym

just no room for tyre flips or anything like that

Quote Originally Posted by ello View Post
    Bodybuilders can be strong, and even then you'd have to define where their strength lies. Do 900 lb quarter squats equate into strength?
    Very often I see body builders lift very heavy weight with a very limited range of motion. This has been my experience though, perhaps not the norm.
    Having lifted around a number of amateur and pro bodybuilders, this is eactly what I've seen, too. Massive weights lifted on bench press and press (always seated, usually smith machine), squats and leg press, curls and tricep extensions, and pullups and dips - for somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 the full range of motion.

I have never seen a bodybuilder go through a workout where even most of their movements have been through anything close to a full ROM.

They can do partial reps with way more than the average person, even most strong people. Does this make them strong? I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Guys in my gym squat 800+, ass-to-grass, daily. They are some strong motherfuckers. It seems that most of the higher level, more successful bodybuilders approach it this way.
    I'm going to your gym, dammit. Where are you located, Zach?

In all seriouness though, that is far from what I've encountered. It's awesome though. I've just never been exposed to it. I would assume those individuals gained that strength through lower repetition sets as opposed to high. In essence, while they're still body builders, their strength was developed through a powerlifter's training regimen. May be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

Abe

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJavs View Post
    Actually, Ronnie Coleman had a broken back and he has nerve damage in his lats and triceps.

And he was a strong mofo...squatting 800x2 and deadlifting over 800 as well. He did his share of low rep, high intensity lifting too.
    Well... so much for that idea. Maybe his methods have changed over the years... or his priorities. I train where he does, and I always see him banging out high reps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12