starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is work capacity systemic, local, or both?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    As we have observed here many times, the deadlift beats the shit out of you when you're strong. He meant that he felt it in his back, but the effects at that level are in fact systemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenden View Post
    For example, for a novice who's happily trucking along with 5lb/workout increases on their (currently) 200lb squat, even if they could do 5x5 with their working weight, it wouldn't make them stronger faster than doing 3x5.
    Nah, more work is a better adaptive stimulus than less work. However, a long term view must be taken... if more tonnage in a given workout compromises intensity/volume/frequency of future workouts, then it may be counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    As we have observed here many times, the deadlift beats the shit out of you when you're strong. He meant that he felt it in his back, but the effects at that level are in fact systemic.
    I almost posted a question about this because my back was fucked up (not injured, but weakened and sore), but my upper body lifts were still improving. I had none of the classic symptoms of overtraining such as disrupted sleep - and I've been there before.

Well, it only took about another week before my bench and press stalled out as well. And this last comment has given me something to ponder. I had also seen the quote by Kroc and had thought, "Aha! that's what's happening to me as well".

Rip, have you had success with lifters over 40 doing TM? I've tried it three times, each time reducing the volume, and it only takes about two months before I spin out and start regressing. I am getting stronger, but this three steps forward, two steps back shit is getting old.

Regards,

Matt

starting strength coach development program
    If you have had better luck with a reduced volume version of TM, use it. At 40, it won't work the same way it does at 20.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12