starting strength gym

Thread: Food

Default Food

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark,
    I've just been wondering about food.. Your advice is usually drink Gomad, eat plenty of fruit, veg and anything with a face. And this is very good advice, especially to skinny guys that just need to eat (me). But this is fairly vague compared to the immense detail that goes into perfecting form, programming etc..

I've only been frequenting this forum for a few weeks, and have noticed you have/had a nutrition Q&A section, but that is on the way out I understand. I won't bother going to that guys new site for information as I don't take much stock in advice that is given along side advice on how to murder someone.

Anyhow.. My point is, your a strength coach not a nutritionist, but you have carved yourself out a pretty respectable position as an expert in the field. And you are a great coach/writer in that you present sometimes quite complex info in a simple, understandable, even an idiot could do it fashion.

People would listen to you about diet.

I'm interested and quite willing to on top of fine tuning, improving, optimising my form in the gym, to fine tune, improve, optimise my diet by choosing the right foods for nutrients, vitamins, etc etc to get the best results from SS and beyond. (as well as good health)

Just saying, there is an opportunity for you to get the knowledge together or get a trusted nutritionist to help you present some more in depth but simply presented info on optimal diet for SS. A companion book perhaps.

There is also an opportunity here to look like a fool by straying from one's actual expertise. I have not made nutrition the focus of my efforts for 35 years, and although I know more about it than you do, that does not qualify me to stake out a claim as an authority. The same statement would cover my attempt to start writing about political topics. From time to time I will offer my opinions, but for authoritative information there will always be far better sources than me. I appreciate your confidence, but I'll just stick with the barbells as book topics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The same statement would cover my attempt to start writing about political topics.
    It's always refreshing to see people who know their own boundries. I will say statements you made on that topic in the past have made me cringe. My strength, on the other hand, has had excellent results by listening to your barbell advice.

Rip, this is the internet, you can be an expert in whatever you'd like. Need to know about nuclear submarine maintenance? Just ask me and I'll bring you up to speed in a jiffy..

Quote Originally Posted by shanuea View Post
    you present sometimes quite complex info in a simple, understandable, even an idiot could do it fashion.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that Rip doesn't really consider nutrition to be a particularly complex problem if all you're interested in is general strength, power and robustness. If you want to be on the cover of Men's Health then that's a different matter, but he doesn't give a crap about that.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by shanuea View Post
    I'm interested and quite willing to on top of fine tuning, improving, optimising my form in the gym, to fine tune, improve, optimise my diet by choosing the right foods for nutrients, vitamins, etc etc to get the best results from SS and beyond. (as well as good health)

Just saying, there is an opportunity for you to get the knowledge together or get a trusted nutritionist to help you present some more in depth but simply presented info on optimal diet for SS. A companion book perhaps.
    The nutrition section in The Strongest Shall Survive contains more about fine-tuning and optimizing your diet than you will ever get around to implementing - apart from being one of the best books ever written about training for strength and performance. And it's only 20 bucks:

http://www.aasgaardco.com/store/stor...on=show_detail