starting strength gym

Thread: Basic exercises used for assistance work

Default Basic exercises used for assistance work

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,
    I've followed SS, then TM (the general program in PPST 2ed) and finally a Split Routine of my own devising.

In addition to PP2, your views and recomendations regarding TM are frequently expressed in discussions on this extremely valuable forum, and recently in your comprehensive article on T-nation. (Great article - many thanks!) On the other hand; information on how to devise Split Routines is scarce; therefore I hope you find time to answer my question.

My last Split Routine produced good progress in squats and 3000 m running. However, a basic exercise like power clean suffered. I can't help thinking that Split Routines often become crowded with targets. In my new Split Routine I'm toying with the idea of considering one or two basic exercises ancillary.

In this context, would it be viable to program bench press 5*3 with press 8*2 on another day? Can power snatch be programmed 6*2 with dead lift 8*1 on another day?

Thanks for your time and effort.

It is late, and perhaps I don't understand. Which become ancillary, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Which become ancillary, and why?
    Press and dead lift would be in the program in order to maintain strength and support the development of other exercises, rather than to develop strength on their own. Strength maintenance probably requires less work and thereby free up some adaptive capacity for the other lifts and endurance development (in my case).

As a rule, I would change a program that does not produce increases on the basic lifts. But in this case, I would consider press and dead lift assistance work and remain happy as long as I'm progressing on the other lifts and non-strength exercises.

Does this make sense? If so; any advice on how to program press and dead lift?

Training goals dictate what exercises are primary and ancillary. For a weightlifter, deadlifts act as assistance exercises to drive up cleans. For a Powerlifter, cleans are assistance exercises to drive up deadlifts. You can't ask whether or not a program is good or bad without stating first the purpose of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    Training goals dictate what exercises are primary and ancillary.
    Thanks for making that clear.

I haven't yet decided on training goals for the coming months; but one of the basic exercises will be programmed as ancillary - if not just for learning the ropes.

I'm not sure how to do this; from PP I find that assistance work is usually programmed with 10-15 reps over 3-5 sets - it sure sounds like a lot of work. (Strength maintenance is said to require significantly less effort than strength development?)

It may be that this kind of impulse, at the end of a workout, will not lay claim to as much adaptive capacity as I imagine - I'm simply not experienced enough to tell.