starting strength gym

Thread: how much weight is too much with osteoporosis?

Default how much weight is too much with osteoporosis?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am 53 years old, weigh 112 pounds, and started strength training six months ago after doing Crossfit for one year. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis 3 years ago but a recent dexa scan showed improvement to osteopenia. The worst score was -2.2 in vertebra D-7. My question is, am I putting myself at high risk of a vertebral compression fracture by continuing to increase the weight of my squats & deadlifts? From June to November my 1 rep max deadlift increased from 150 lbs to 200 lbs, and my back squat from 85 lbs. to 130 lbs. I know that I need to keep my form nice & tight, but how likely is it that my muscle strength will dangerously outpace my skeletal strength? I would really appreciate any insight you can give me.

The risk is certainly not zero, but the risk of continuing osteopenia in the absence of effective exercise is 100%. My mother had a stress fracture in a thoracic vertebra that, being honest, was probably the result of deadlifts. But she was 82. I suppose it's just a matter of a risk/reward assessment. Have you had any pain in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The risk is certainly not zero, but the risk of continuing osteopenia in the absence of effective exercise is 100%. My mother had a stress fracture in a thoracic vertebra that, being honest, was probably the result of deadlifts. But she was 82. I suppose it's just a matter of a risk/reward assessment. Have you had any pain in the area?
    On the one hand, this is amazing. On the other hand, Mama Rippetoe being a badass is maybe not so surprising. I look forward to a day when "deadlifts" and "82 [years old]" don't look so weird next to each other.

No pain. I guess I need to be vigilant about the possibility of a stress fracture and pay attention to any pain that might develop. Did your mother get enough early warning signs to avoid a catastrophic injury?
    It is frustrating to have to consider the brittleness of my bones as a factor in my workouts. . . I want to be able to just go in and give 100% effort toward increasing my strength without worrying about osteopenia. . . it is a very abstract-seeming diagnosis until a bone is fractured, and I've had no fractures yet.
    Thank you for your input. I guess I should just proceed with caution and pay really close attention to form. Do you have any advice about the process of checking 1 rep max? I've only done this twice, about six months apart.

According to Dr. John R. Lee, transdermal natural-progesterone cream (*not* synthetic progestins) plus various co-factors, can reverse bone loss and stabilize at the bone density of a 35-year-old. Various details online; one source reprints a paper from Dr. Lee: http://www.naturodoc.com/library/hormones/osteo_rev.htm

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by marthalamb View Post
    No pain. I guess I need to be vigilant about the possibility of a stress fracture and pay attention to any pain that might develop. Did your mother get enough early warning signs to avoid a catastrophic injury?
    She had no idea at the time, just some minor back pain. The injury was revealed much later on an unrelated x-ray. And one of the ways you are to be careful about this is by NEVER doing a 1RM "check". It will be dangerous, and it will not tell you anything necessary that you don't already know.