starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Method: 2 gyms, 2 different bars

Default Texas Method: 2 gyms, 2 different bars

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark. I've just begun Texas Method, after running out of luck with 5/3/1 (I started w/Starting Strength way back). I'm especially looking to bump up my max press.

Current stats are 42 y/o, 5'10", 190lbs, have a young child so not enough sleep.

I split my workouts between two gyms, depending on where I'm working that day.

At gym #1, the bars are what I think of as normal circumference. My best press there is 160. I can do 135 for 5 easily. Bar weighs 45lbs. or close on the scale.

At gym #2, the bar is slightly thicker, though not like an actual thick bar. Noticeable. My best press there is 152. I struggle to get 135 for 5. I've weighed the bar and it's 45lbs or close.

So the question: will this mess up Texas programming to any important extent. I'll have to keep on top of two sets of numbers, but other than that I'm trying to decide if it's worth worrying about before really getting into things...

How accurate are the plates at gym #2. Or gym #1 for that matter?

I weighed many (not all) of the plates at gym #2 today and all were pretty close (well within a pound) to stated weight. Will be at gym #1 on Wednesday to check there. My sense is, though, that it's not the plates.

I have read what you wrote about inaccurate weight plates in PP, so I know about the issue...

It could be the bar diameter. I have commented on this effect before, and it is in the book. A 5mm difference would be significant at the level you describe. But check the weights anyway, as well as the weight of the bars.

Ok, sampling of plates at gym #1 now weighed. No real difference from gym #2. All are off by teeny bits, but nothing over a pound. I can imagine some weird coincidence, where every plate at gym #2 was a little heavy and every plate at gym #1 was a little light, where the weight difference might be as much as maybe 4lbs., but that still wouldn't really explain the discrepency I'm having.

So anyway, will this make any meaningful difference for Texas Method if I just keep two sets of numbers, or is it important enough to worry about. Like does the thick bar change form to the point where it's a problem...?

Four pounds is certainly a significant discrepancy on a press. The bar diameter doesn't change form, it changes "squeeze" in the hands, which changes the neuromuscular effect in the grip at the bottom. As I said, this is in the book.

Hmmm, well I solved the problem, though the book didn't help in the end.

Knurling spacing on the thicker bar had tricked me into taking a slightly narrower grip than usual. Widened out to my usual (after figuring out what that is by measuring the regular bar) and immediately press returned to normal. It was a pretty small difference, but proof is in the pudding.

So, um, thanks. Now I'm going to go read the book again, just for the hell of it.

I think the bar dimension stuff is in there too.

I think you're right, but apparently the effect isn't a huge one. I think it's minor enough that I can do Texas Method...

Guess I'll know in a few weeks if I'm right.

starting strength coach development program
    How is your press grip so wide that you can actually take a narrower one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast