• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coach,

My stats:
    Male
    29 y/o
    6'2
    230 lbs

I recently stalled at 245x3x5 on my bench press and reset down to start the Texas Method. Since I pushed up past about 225 on my bench sets I have noticed that my first heavy set is really uncomfortable yet my later sets feel better and stronger.

Now, the immediate answers seems to be insufficient warm-up. My warmup most recently has been:

Empty Bar: 3x10
    135x2x5
    185x1x3
    205x1x2
    225x1x1

Before resetting, I tried adding in some more volume at the lower weights for warmup. This didn't reduce the discomfort, creaking and stiffness of the first heavy set. I feel like it's only the weights closer to the working set that get things moving. Of note, I'm bench pressing after squats, so it isn't my first exercise.

Do you have any recommendations for tweaking my approach to warming up the bench press? I've failed on my first sets across of the bench press, not the later sets, and this makes me feel like I may be better served with a warm-up and work set approach that had some lighter work sets. Would there be a disadvantage in the Texas Method (if I'm resetting to 225x5x5) of making my worksets similar to the following:

215x1x5
    220x1x5
    225x3x5

Or would you recommend something like more sets of 3's and 1's at lower weights before 5x5 across?

Thanks,

At 6'2" and 245x 5 x 3, you're not very strong for a 230 lb. guy. What is your weight-gain history?

I raised my body weight from 195 in June.

Body composition questions aside, I'd have to guess that you haven't done the program correctly.

Might you be doing too MUCH warmup? Granted it's the bar and "just" 135 where you're stacking up the reps, but 3x10 with the bar? Why so many reps? How about 2x5? And maybe just 1 set at 135. I tend to err on the side of slightly less warmups. I also usually only do 1 rep on my second-to-last warmup set if I'm doing one more in between 80% and my work set weight.

I've had a pretty similar experience running the novice program. Im 6'3" and my starting weight was 185. My starting 5x3 was 185lbs, and my best after several months was 225lbs 5x3 at a bodyweight of 235. My other lifts made pretty decent progress but for whatever reason my bench press progression was poor.

What were your progression increments, and how much time did you allow between sets?

I would attempt to increase the weight by 5 pounds each workout. Obviously if I had failed to get all five reps for all three sets then I would repeat the previous workout. My rest between sets is typically 8-10 minutes.

Im assuming based upon your response that I should increase the weight by something smaller like 2.5lbs.

starting strength coach development program
    So you would say its the increments?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast