starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Continental Clean

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is funny. On another forum someone suggested to read PPFST.

I have not found yet any book that points specifically at strongman.

I have seen the training DVDs of Jouko Ahola, Magnus Samuelsson and Svend Karlsen. It is nice to have an insight of what the professionals do, but I do not think that you can train with their routines.

Everybody has to make a personal routine when it comes to the sport of strongman as you have so many different things to consider:

kinds of strength

• repetitive (~ 10 reps)
    • maximum (1 rep)
    • isometric (30–60 s)
    • explosive (power clean and power snatch)

kinds of events

• overhead
    • running
    • off the ground
    • pulling
    • static

Basically you have to be a powerlifter, an olympic lifter and a highland games competitor all in one.

A possible way would be the following:

• squat day (squat, front squat or zercher squat, calf work)
    • deadlift day (deadlift, rack pull, grip work, ab work)
    • overhead lift day (push press + some kind of clean, bench press, upper back work, triceps + biceps)
    • running events day (farmer walk, tire flip, yoke carry etc.)

The atlas stones could be on squat day or deadlift day, hand-over-hand could be on overhead lift day and you can do your overhead work directly with an axle or a log.

The problem will always be the volume. As already mentioned you have a lot of different events in different rep ranges to train. So it would be the best to pick the exercises and events that will have the most carryover and do some assistance work (hammer curl, power hold, heavy sit-up).

Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    Basically you have to be a powerlifter, an olympic lifter and a highland games competitor all in one.
    Or Strong?

I'm not a strongman and never have been, but have trained around a few of the top guys in the sport, a few observations that might be helpful:

1) Most guys train 2-3 times during the week focusing on the gym lifts that will provide the most carryover to their events, and then train 1 x on the weekend doing several competition specific events

2) A modified westside template seems to work well for a lot of athletes, with more focus on overhead pressing than bench pressing. Light DE work and low volume ME work allows for a little better recovery during the week so that events can be trained hard on the weekends. Also a rotation of max effort exercises like westside advocates seems to work well for strongmen since they need to be strong in lots of different movement patterns, working with different bars, etc

3) You must compete in order to train effectively. Without knowing what events you will be competing in at your next contest it is difficult to focus your training.

A good resource for this kind of stuff is the late Jesse Marunde's website and forum. Lot's of amateur strongmen over there as well as a lot of the Pros. Great forum with a great disposition from what I've read.

-Hat

I have competed internationally in strongman for about 3 years now and about 7 years total. I think I can help a little. As far as I know there are no books on training out there. Also, each pro I know trains a little bit different. The one constant is that we all think that training for strongman contests is primarily about getting strong as hell. That being said, you also need the skill component and conditioning to properly be able to compete. My current thoughts on the matter are to separate the strength and skill component by doing gym work during the week and then "practice" for events on the weekend. In the past, I have done programs with only strongman events, and ones with only one day in the gym. They have all worked for the stages that I was in. If you want to talk further regarding programming, I need some more information on how much experience that you have in the gym to properly address your needs. Feel free to drop me an email at biggmatt74@hotmail.com.

I know lots and lots of world-class and semi-world-class strongman competitors from my old gyms. I don't train with them at the moment, but follow their training from a distance.

They all train a similar way. Off-season (fall-winter) is mostly powerlifting, building a 1RM strength base in the basic lifts. More overhead press than bench press although many compete in both PL and strength. They tend to train about 3-4 days a week during this period.

In the spring, they switch to maintenance on the powerlifts and add event training, endurance work and explosive work (throws, cleans, push presses and the like). Training is usually 5-6 days a week for this period.

In-season (summer), they greatly reduce the powerlifting and lighten the explosive work a little to permit recovery between meets. Training is again 3-4 days a week, sometimes less, depending on the frequency of meets.

Thank you.

starting strength coach development program
    I trained and competed in Strongman for about 8-9 years. I'm a drug free lifter and I trained very closely with guys who used anabolics. I can tell you that when it comes to Strongman training, this makes a huge difference in terms of recovery. If anyone has any specific questions on how I programmed my lifting, I'll be more than happy to share my experiences.

As far as the continental clean, I was never a fan. I competed when you were allowed to continental off the belt. That allows much more weight to be used and it's much safer on the low back compared to using the belly. I've seen some very ugly technique with a continental clean off the belly that made me cringe every time.

I got to the point where I just preferred to full clean the axle every time. I have shorter fingers so 250-260 was the most I ever reached with a 2" thick, fixed axle. By then, I was done competing so it didn't really matter. If I wanted to press heavier I would either continental the weight off my belt or take it from a rack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12