starting strength gym

Thread: Quick squat form check, please.

Default Quick squat form check, please.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First of my three sets at 215. They look high, too fast, and my knees seem to be all over the place. It's hard to tell because the angle isn't great, but I do believe that my knees were tracking properly over my feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7idh4CxDJo

Any advice is appreciated.

The last 4 look high, too fast because it's light, with your knees all over the place. But the angle isn't great.

I see what you did there...

I suppose that I should just keep adding 5lbs/workout and all the problems will sort themselves out automagically.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    First of my three sets at 215. They look high, too fast, and my knees seem to be all over the place. It's hard to tell because the angle isn't great, but I do believe that my knees were tracking properly over my feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7idh4CxDJo

Any advice is appreciated.
    Go all the way down, dammit. Also, Your knees seem to be moving forward at the "bottom" as well.

you are dropping down way too fast; this is part of what is causing your knees to suck, since dropping too fast frequently corresponds to letting the hams and adductors loosen up.

you probably don't need a belt with 215.

Quote Originally Posted by skadefryd View Post
    you are dropping down way too fast; this is part of what is causing your knees to suck, since dropping too fast frequently corresponds to letting the hams and adductors loosen up.

you probably don't need a belt with 215.
    Quote Originally Posted by ello View Post
    Go all the way down, dammit. Also, Your knees seem to be moving forward at the "bottom" as well.
    Ok. Just did 220 without a belt, more slowly, at full depth. Definitely added to the difficulty of the sets, but got it done. It felt like going more slowly hurt my ability to take advantage of the stretch at the bottom and drive my hips out. I'll keep working on it, 5lbs at a time.

Time to go from 1/2 GOMAD back to full GOMAD.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    Ok. Just did 220 without a belt, more slowly, at full depth. Definitely added to the difficulty of the sets, but got it done. It felt like going more slowly hurt my ability to take advantage of the stretch at the bottom and drive my hips out. I'll keep working on it, 5lbs at a time.

Time to go from 1/2 GOMAD back to full GOMAD.
    WELL, it can alter your perception of the stretch (going slower that is). The stretch will occur from keeping the muscules tight from top to bottom (correct me if I'm wrong, Rip).

And as I side not, even though I go a couple of inches lower than needed, at a slower pace than needed, the stretch reflex is still there.

Btw, I'm glad to see your willing to take lower increments (5lbs). Most individuals let their pride get in the way of training and want to make huge leaps in their sqat immediately.

Good luck, Rob!