Quick squat form check, please. Quick squat form check, please.

starting strength gym
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Quick squat form check, please.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,282

    Default Quick squat form check, please.

    • wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    First of my three sets at 215. They look high, too fast, and my knees seem to be all over the place. It's hard to tell because the angle isn't great, but I do believe that my knees were tracking properly over my feet.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7idh4CxDJo

    Any advice is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    43,587

    Default

    The last 4 look high, too fast because it's light, with your knees all over the place. But the angle isn't great.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    I see what you did there...

    I suppose that I should just keep adding 5lbs/workout and all the problems will sort themselves out automagically.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    First of my three sets at 215. They look high, too fast, and my knees seem to be all over the place. It's hard to tell because the angle isn't great, but I do believe that my knees were tracking properly over my feet.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7idh4CxDJo

    Any advice is appreciated.
    Go all the way down, dammit. Also, Your knees seem to be moving forward at the "bottom" as well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    91

    Default

    you are dropping down way too fast; this is part of what is causing your knees to suck, since dropping too fast frequently corresponds to letting the hams and adductors loosen up.

    you probably don't need a belt with 215.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skadefryd View Post
    you are dropping down way too fast; this is part of what is causing your knees to suck, since dropping too fast frequently corresponds to letting the hams and adductors loosen up.

    you probably don't need a belt with 215.
    Quote Originally Posted by ello View Post
    Go all the way down, dammit. Also, Your knees seem to be moving forward at the "bottom" as well.
    Ok. Just did 220 without a belt, more slowly, at full depth. Definitely added to the difficulty of the sets, but got it done. It felt like going more slowly hurt my ability to take advantage of the stretch at the bottom and drive my hips out. I'll keep working on it, 5lbs at a time.

    Time to go from 1/2 GOMAD back to full GOMAD.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    924

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    Ok. Just did 220 without a belt, more slowly, at full depth. Definitely added to the difficulty of the sets, but got it done. It felt like going more slowly hurt my ability to take advantage of the stretch at the bottom and drive my hips out. I'll keep working on it, 5lbs at a time.

    Time to go from 1/2 GOMAD back to full GOMAD.
    WELL, it can alter your perception of the stretch (going slower that is). The stretch will occur from keeping the muscules tight from top to bottom (correct me if I'm wrong, Rip).

    And as I side not, even though I go a couple of inches lower than needed, at a slower pace than needed, the stretch reflex is still there.

    Btw, I'm glad to see your willing to take lower increments (5lbs). Most individuals let their pride get in the way of training and want to make huge leaps in their sqat immediately.

    Good luck, Rob!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •