starting strength gym

Thread: The aged, squatting, with knee problems

Default The aged, squatting, with knee problems

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My father is 75 and very active but he has no cartilage on the inside of his right knee. He had one cortisone injection back in August but is now taking hyaluronan and is coming up on his third shot. It may be helping. He also has a stable low-grade spondylolisthesis at L4-5.

He has been squatting, focusing on good technique and staying well away from his 1RM. Since learning of the knee problem he has been trying not to go too knees out, since that would involve more bone-on-bone for his knee. (Yes, he is 75 and can get his knees way too far out in the hole.)

Should he be squatting? If so, do you have any specific recommendations for someone with his particular knee problem? If not, what alternative to the squat do you recommend for him?

Thank you for taking the time.

Adam

I don't think a guy with no meniscus at 75 needs to squat. I think he needs a partial knee replacement so he can go ahead and get in better shape and enjoy himself more, out of pain. This may include squatting later.

Thank you for your frank response. What do you recommend in the meantime?

He can do presses if his shoulders have the ROM, benches, and probably even deadlifts if he can pull them symmetrically. But if he's an active older guy, he'll really appreciate the knee being repaired.

Bench and deads it is!