starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boxing training & SS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    Never trained a boxer, just consulted with a few MMA guys, but if you are a weak bitch then some of your conditioning needs to take a back seat for a little bit while you build your strength.

Basically, this means take a break from lengthy amounts of road work, circuit training, copious amounts of jump rope, etc that are popular in the community.

Train your strength with the barbells and keep sparring, working the heavy bag, and doing a lot of boxing specific drills to help maintain your conditioning. Refer to the article that was just published on the home page....remember....even if you lose a little of your conditioning you can get it back quick and at that point you will be well conditioned AND STRONG.
    If you want to do both at the same time I think this is excellent advice. I put a lot of effort into training jiu-jitsu and doing SS, and I basically had to put jiu-jitsu on the back burner as far as conditioning and whatnot. Even then it was slow but steady progress, but it worked. I actually did it twice because I took off 3 months to get my conditioning back and compete in a certain weight class.

So come back strong, you won't regret it. And as the earlier poster said eat a lot and sleep plenty. I feel that if I ever slipped on either I paid for it dearly. There just isn't much room for error when it comes to recovery because you are going to be stretched thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Graunie View Post
    \
    So come back strong, you won't regret it. And as the earlier poster said eat a lot and sleep plenty. I feel that if I ever slipped on either I paid for it dearly.
    As a fellow Jiu Jitsu athlete, I agree 100 percent. Food and sleep become the two most precious commodities if you're going to undergo a serious strength training attempt while training for a fight sport. To the point that I'd schedule one or two days a week where you expect to sleep 10+ hours. Also, eat more than you believe you need to and be drink lot of milk. You need the calories. Your conditioning will scream that you're eating too much, but you require the extra bolus of fat, protein and calories. And to answer your questions (doubts): you are not different, this applies to you, and I don't give a fuck about how things worked in the past, you need the extra sleep and food. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Richards View Post
    I just wanted to get your opinion on training for boxing, which is very cardio intensive, and also using your Starting Strength routine simultaneously. Thanks in advance for your reply.
    I can't imagine it!

However after watching another stellar performance from Juan Manuel Marquez Sat. Night, I am no longer questioning the sanity of his practice of consuming his own urine as a method of recovery. The way JMM shows he can recover I wouldn't doubt if the practice would allow for an all out SS routine and full blown boxing training!

Let us know how it works out!

No shit? He drinks his own urine? Can I get some? My recovery situation really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No shit? He drinks his own urine? Can I get some? My recovery situation really sucks.
    No shit, they actually showed him doing it on HBO 24/7 when he fought Mayweather.

I think it only works if your urine is full off AAS that made it through the first pass in the kidneys... come to think of it, this is probably just an attempt at economic drug use.

starting strength coach development program
    Right. No point in wasting it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12