starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach,

I believe my form is good, though I get some low back stiffness the next day after some training days. Not sure it's due to form or improper warming up. Lastly, I'm using a standard size bar and weights. Anyway, if you don't mind taking a look:

Last set of 200x3x5

Thanks,
    HD

I see nothing wrong with these, not much at all, and certainly not anything that would hurt your back.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDead View Post
    low back stiffness the next day
    A theoretical explanation for this sensation has been tossed around on this board before. IIRC, it's that the low back muscles are growing at a faster rate than the surrounding fascia can accommodate. It goes away and is nothing to worry about.

Not sure that this is what's going on here, but because your technique is solid I figured I'd propose it.

Thanks for checking. I studied long and hard with the SS book, DVD, and your videos online. Thanks for putting it all out there for me to learn the proper techniques. I'd move down to Texas just to train at your club, but when I look at the job postings on Craigslist for Wichita Falls I find that there's very little available. Too bad. You should franchise to the contiguous states, that way more people would have access to proper facilities with skilled instructors. I'd be happy to run one!

Best,
    HD

Quote Originally Posted by Bronan the Barbarian View Post
    A theoretical explanation for this sensation has been tossed around on this board before. IIRC, it's that the low back muscles are growing at a faster rate than the surrounding fascia can accommodate. It goes away and is nothing to worry about.
    Thanks for the input. I don't think that's the case with me though. I'm pretty sure it's because of something I'm doing around the bottom of the lift, meaning: I shift my weight slightly from one foot to the other, or I'm slightly out of alignment somewhere, etc. Whatever it is, it's just enough to cause a little tweak that I feel immediately, and then have stiffness the next day or two, like the "over-stretched" feeling you get in the low back after installing hardwood flooring all day.

The interesting thing about it is that the LESS I eat, the better it feels and heals. The MORE I eat, the more aggravated it gets, and hangs around longer (2-3 days max).

Is that interesting?

Or strange?

-HD