starting strength gym

Thread: 20 rep squats and level of advancement

Default 20 rep squats and level of advancement

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was doing advanced novice SS when I though I could use a change of pace as I've been doing SS for the last 8 months, so I'm currently doing a 20 rep squats program to evaluate my testicular fortitude and get rid of any jeans that still fit my legs.
    I have a question and an observation that might be of your interest.

-How does one increase the weight on a 20 rep squat in various levels of advancement? From what I understand, Strossen's book is geared towards novices with all the "30 pounds in 6 weeks" stuff which can only be novice gains. It seems that from the sources I gathered, one is supposed to add 5 lbs every workout. I can't see an intermediate adding 90 lbs to their 20 RM in 6 weeks or gaining 30 pounds of BW.

That being so, am I right to assume that an intermediate would add 5 lbs/week to his squats while doing a 20 rep program?

-As a person of nerdy tendencies, I borrowed a pulse oxymeter to check oxygen saturation and how it is affected by 20 rep squats. To my surprise, it didn't fall at all, always remaining above 96% in the three occasions I measured it, which was right after racking the bar. Just thought you might be interested in this piece of data.

When I do see Jesus in a couple of weeks during my set of 20, I'll tell him you said hi.

My experience with 20-rep squats indicates that the nasty bastards are best done once/week with 10 lb. jumps, at the intermediate level. Novices will not find this an optimum program. This might work for 6 weeks if you get out without knee tendinitis.

So, suppose one does the set of 20 on monday, what should one squat on wednesday and friday?

This is almost exactly what has happened to me.
    I've been doing 20 rep squats for the past 7 weeks.

Some stats.
    33 years old
    5'11" or so
    88kg

1rm squat is 160kg

week 1
    80kg = 20 reps

week 2
    85kg = 20 reps

week 3
    90kg = 20 reps

week 4
    95kg = 20 reps

week 5
    100kg = 16 reps, then 13 reps for second set

week 6
    100kg = 20 reps

week 7
    105kg = 13 reps, then 10 reps for second set

I didn't see jesus..
    All I saw was my dog licking my face as I lay flat on the floor after the sets from week 3 onwards.

my right knee is pretty sore and am thinking of going back to something that doesn't involve 20 reps.. lol

I agree with RIP..
    use this tool sparingly.

only other thing I will add is that I do these with high bar and narrow(er) stance than RIP advocates..
    Purely because of time under the bar.
    I recorded my 100kg session.. I believe it was about 3 minutes..
    1 take 3 breaths between each rep (ends up being like 4 or 5 breaths towards the last bunch of reps).
    and a low bar position for 3 minutes just does not work for me..

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    So, suppose one does the set of 20 on monday, what should one squat on wednesday and friday?
    Very light 5s on Wed, and maybe 2 x 5s heavy on Friday.

@ TTT

I am doing 120 kg on my 20 reps sets but I estimated my 1RM to be around 140 kg. Strange. Aren't 20 rep squats meant to be done with 80% of one's 1RM?

@Rip

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I become an intermediate and feel the urge to grow or die.

Carlos - If you can do 20 reps in 1 set with 120kg, then your 1rm is going to be WELL over 140kg. lol

I highly doubt that you could do 20reps with 80% of your actual 1rm.

I think about 70% is closer to reality.

starting strength coach development program
    I just might try doing a 1RM or a double next Monday to see where this leads me. I will be all "paint me green and call me hulk" happy if I can get a double with 160 kg or even 150 kg.