starting strength gym

Thread: Texas'ish Method and Strongman

Default Texas'ish Method and Strongman

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark, if you could provide your initial thoughts...

I've settled into a texas style approach following years of "advanced" training that didn't leave me so strong. You know that story well.

I've adapted my training to prep for strongman. Each new implement kicks my ass, so to go from a relative beginner on these lifts, I'm taking the slow, progressive road with 5*5's. Although not a beginner on squats, etc, I like the approach too much to change it.

What is your initial impression of this split? I find 3 days per week to be perfect for recovery. I hit if for 3 weeks, and back off on the 4th. Seems to work well for the older and younger guys, alike. The toughest part seems to be finding a way to progressively train log, axle and circus DB pressing...

Tuesday
    1. Mobility Warm-up / Chins 3*BW
    2. Squat, 5*5
    3. Power Clean, 5*3
    4. Assistance Circuit

Thursday
    1. Mobility Warm-up / Light squat, 3*5
    2. Press #1 Main (5*5)
    3. Press #2 Assistance (5*10)
    4. Shoulder Assistance (Shrug, Raise)

Saturday
    1. Mobility Warm-up
    2. Squat 6-8*1-3, Intensity
    3. Deadlift Variation (Rack, Deficit, Etc. for submax reps - rare 1 RM)
    4. Events

Thanks Rip

Looks okay to me, depending on how strong you are now. And yes, it would be difficult to progressively train implements that don't lend themselves well to progressive loading. You'd have to figure out a way to get at least some loading variable to change, and then work the reps up instead of fine control of the load.

Progressively-loadable logs, axles, etc are now available from:
    http://www.hybridathletics.net/page/...ent&page=metal
    http://www.roguefitness.com/store/so...ngman_bars.php

Should be able to add Olympic plates down to commercially-available 0.25 or 0.5 pound microweights for precise adjustment.

My current press is about 275. My push press technique really needs to improve...I've only managed about 260-275 with the axle and log press. This chaps my ass. No reason not to do 300. Deadlift always festers around 600-650. Squat, just did 5*5 up to 525. Not setting the world on fire, but doing well. Bodyweight is about 290. My fitness saves me during competition. I actually have pretty good work capacity.

Regarding the implement training, I also had the thought of just working my presses with a standard bar, inching up the 5*5 load and making solid progress. Then, I could just "practice" with the implements with assistance work. If I could make my technique better, coupled with solid press gains, the event performance should also improve (?). Just lifting to an RM every week on a different implement will probably not work very well.

I have the same problem with strongman as I did with "conjugate" training...How the hell can you make progress when you training so many things? Some variety is good, but strongman takes it to another level.

If you are Zydrunas Savickas and press 200 kg, then this is not something you worry with when you start strongman. But it seems for those that need to actually build, it's not a good approach. I'll tell you what, though. Strongman is fun, especially stones. But if I was just looking for fun, I would sit my ass down and play video games.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Moore View Post

I have the same problem with strongman as I did with "conjugate" training...How the hell can you make progress when you training so many things? Some variety is good, but strongman takes it to another level.
    A damned interesting observation, congruent with Damon's position in the article. http://startingstrength.com/articles...tion_wells.pdf