starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Depth

Default Squat Depth

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is it possible that someone who can sit on a standard 17" bench, and take a dump in a standard toilet using standard form is too inflexible to squat to proper depth?

It amazes me that this is the reason/excuse for 1/2 squats every time I see them.

It is possible that they are too stupid to squat to proper depth. Many weeks are wasted on silly shit like "squat therapy" hamstring flexibility all the time.

If you don't know to push your knees out then it becomes very difficult. People are ignorant.

You think it would be PT 101, but alas, no.

This reminds me of something I saw that surprised me. I demonstrated the proper squat depth to an interested non-lifter once, and he came up on his toes every time. I told him to keep his heels on the floor, and he insisted that he didn't have the ankle flexibility to do that.. I'm curious if that is as rare as it seems like it would be to me, or do you see it occasionally?

Quote Originally Posted by drlvegas View Post
    and take a dump in a standard toilet using standard form
    What exactly is standard form when taking a dump?

people don't squat correctly because it is hard as balls and doing it incorrectly is easier. people will look for any excuse to not exert themselves. people are lazy. i was a lazy, fat and weak person until i realized i was tired of being, fat, lazy and weak. i bust my ass 3 times a week to get big and strong. i don't want to squat, but i do. i was "inflexible". i am able to squat to proper depth because i squatted even though i was inflexible and made myself flexible. my fucking shoulder hurts, but i don't miss workouts. i don't get sleep sometimes because of my baby, but i don't miss workouts. if you have a mindset in which you're looking for excuses from the very beginning, you're not going to succeed. fucking people, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulgere Hircum View Post
    This reminds me of something I saw that surprised me. I demonstrated the proper squat depth to an interested non-lifter once, and he came up on his toes every time. I told him to keep his heels on the floor, and he insisted that he didn't have the ankle flexibility to do that.. I'm curious if that is as rare as it seems like it would be to me, or do you see it occasionally?
    It doesn't take a very flexible ankle to move the knee forward to about the toes with the heels down. I see it in the case of surgical fusions, but never in any other person.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    "...Many weeks are wasted on silly shit like "squat therapy".
    Dare I add, many years?