starting strength gym

Thread: Requesting squat form check

Default Requesting squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPoreCg46D8

I'm on week five of the SS novice program.
    At about week three I noticed symptoms of the ASIS-located tendonitis you mention in SS. I attributed it to my knees sliding forward at the bottom and have been trying to correct the problem with limited success.
    I've been trying to keep weight off my toes and have adjusted the bar down to what I believe is the correct low-squat position.
    Despite these efforts, I think this video exhibits some forward movement of the knees at the bottom but I don't trust my judgement on this.
    I'm considering widening my stance to try to fix this problem.
    Do you have any comments or recommendations?

Thanks

Yes, your knees are too far forward. Stance looks fine, but you have to learn to use your hips when you squat. Review the TUBOW section in the book.

Push you knees out - all the way to the bottom.

Thanks Rip and mlentzer. Gonna give the TUBOW a try.

Wouldn't a conscious effort to keep the knees-out while descending into the deep squatting position, also automatically prevent the knees from sliding forward at the bottom?
    In the SS video, you shout "Knees out, reach back, and lift your butt so you maintain your back position"

starting strength coach development program
    I had similar problem - letting the tension of the hamstrings at the bottom by sliding my knees forward in order to get depth and not using the stretch reflex(this was huge problem). The thing that helped me fix it is the idea to think about going up while going down (it's in the book). At first I was thinking let's go down and once I was down I was thinking time to go up. That way the squat was very heavy and I stalled on 62,5 kg on the 7th workout. By using the mentioned "cue" I was able to finish 65kg for 3x5 with no problem the next workout. If you keep the tension on the hamstrings and turn your knees out a little more you will hit at least parallel without moving your knees forward at the bottom.

Another thing that I've learnt from my short experience (three weeks) on starting strength is that sometimes soreness is a sign of good form. For example during the first two weeks I was never sore after squats but the deadlifts pretty much raped my hamstrings and glutes while my lower back was happy. Once the squat got "heavy" I got lower back pain. I checked my form and I found out that I was not using the stretch reflex. Once I fixed that my hamstrings got sore at the hip insertion while my lower back was happy so to me that's a sign for good form.