starting strength gym

Thread: Novice Front Squats

Default Novice Front Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I noticed in the latest PPST that front squats have been replaced with light squats in the advanced novice program.

What was the reason for this?

Front squats are unnecessary for novices. They are an exercise specifically for competitive Olympic weightlifters that leaves the hamstrings largely untrained.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Front squats are unnecessary for novices. They are an exercise specifically for competitive Olympic weightlifters that leaves the hamstrings largely untrained.
    When I started doing squats in college in the 80s, the coach treated front squats as a sort of introductory exercise to do with lighter weights before "moving up" to bak squats. (High bar back squats, naturally.) I gather that was idiotic, but I'm wondering if it's also a commonly-held belief.

In some circles, I'm sure it is.

A question in the same vein,

If one sees themselves training the full olympic lifts in the very near future, would you advocate adding in front squats on the light day (be it Advanced Novice, TM, Starr, etc....) now or later when the lifts themselves are being practiced on a structured basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Need2Lift View Post
    When I started doing squats in college in the 80s, the coach treated front squats as a sort of introductory exercise to do with lighter weights before "moving up" to bak squats. (High bar back squats, naturally.) I gather that was idiotic, but I'm wondering if it's also a commonly-held belief.
    Rip and Dan John talked about this. essentially it's harder to do the front squat wrong, so it's easier for coaches to get people under the weight.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post

If one sees themselves training the full olympic lifts in the very near future, would you advocate adding in front squats on the light day (be it Advanced Novice, TM, Starr, etc....) now or later when the lifts themselves are being practiced on a structured basis?
    When you become an Olympic lifter, I'd start doing front squats. While you're still dreaming about it, dreams of front squats are adequate.